CIV 137 - Construction Inspection
At some point in their career almost every civil engineer will be called upon to provide some level of construction inspection; others will dedicate their entire career to this specialty. This course will prepare the student for employment as an inspector by reviewing the responsibilities and duties typically associated with the position; how to document quantities and to work with various materials as well as assuring a safe jobsite.
1 Class Hour; 3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Clearly state the role of a construction inspector.
- Outline the basic responsibilities of an inspector for maintaining a safe jobsite.
- Express distances in stations.
- Read highway plans.
- Keep an inspector’s diary.
- Prepare inspection reports and documentation.
- Perform basic inspection tasks for bituminous paving.
- Perform basis inspection tasks for Portland Cement paving.
- Perform basic inspection tasks for highway earthwork.
- Perform basic inspection tasks for pipelines.
- Perform basic inspection tasks for building foundations and reinforced concrete construction.