Sep 28, 2023
CIV 238 - Architectural Design & Building Materials w/CAD
Design and detailing of commercial buildings including site considerations, space requirements, layout planning, building materials, construction methods, construction details, working drawings. Emphasis on individual creativity. Semester project. Technical oral presentation. Use of AutoCAD and Architectural Desktop for drawings.
Prerequisite: CIV 119 Architectural Drafting w/CAD
2 Class Hours, 3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Have a basic knowledge of considerations involved in the preliminary design of small commercial buildings.
- Understand the significance and purpose of building codes, and have a knowledge of the major topics covered in building codes.
- Understand light gage steel framing construction and typical associated details.
- Understand structural steel frame construction, have knowledge of material choices and typical connection details.
- Be aware of foundation choices and details for small commercial buildings.
- Understand the materials used in masonry construction and have a knowledge of typical details used in commercial buildings.
- Have a knowledge of materials used in wood construction and understand framing methods and typical details used in timber frame construction.
- Have an understanding of the materials and building methods used in reinforced concrete construction.
- Use the college’s architectural CAD system to create a three dimensional building model.
- Use the college’s architectural CAD system to create construction drawings for a commercial building, including floor plans, foundation plans, sections and elevations.
- Work in teams for the development of a design project for a small commercial building.
- Present the proposed design to the class, with oral explanations and sketches of the building concept.
- Appreciate sustainable design and construction technologies, and understand the basic factors of LEED Certification.