Sep 25, 2023
CIV 237 - Hydraulics/Storm Water Management
The principles of hydraulics and hydrology are covered, followed by application of these principles to the solution of stormwater runoff problems. Runoff quantity is calculated by the Rational and Win-TR55 methods and then used to size culverts and stormsewer systems. Manning’s Equation is used for backwater analysis when establishing outlet control in culverts.
Prerequisite: CIV 124 Mechanics (Statics)
2 Class Hours, 3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Understand and be able to apply basic fluid mechanics.
- Understand the hydrologic cycle and its relationship to storm runoff.
- Compute storm runoff using the Rational and the SCS TR-55 Methods.
- Calculate storm sewer flows.
- Correctly size storm sewers.
- Correctly size culverts.
- Understand the desirability of using mitigation techniques such as on site detention basins to reduce storm flow.