Sep 24, 2023
CIV 224 - Reinforced Concrete Design
Fundamental theory and principles for design of reinforced concrete by the strength method. Design, analysis and detailing of rectangular beams, T-beams, slabs and columns. Integrated design and detailing projects.
Prerequisite: CIV 219 Strength of Materials
2 Class Hours, 3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Analyze and design rectangular beams, slabs, and T-beams for compression and T-beams for flexure using the strength method.
- Design shear reinforcement for beams.
- Calculate development lengths, splices, and bar cutoffs for tension bars.
- Design a cantilever retaining wall.
- Have an understanding of the use of current design specifications including the most up-to-date version of ACI-318.
- Be familiar with the various types of concrete framing used in buildings and bridges.
- Be familiar with the current industry standards for detailing reinforced concrete members.