Associate in Science
CIP Code: 50.0901
The A.S. in Music will prepare students to pursue transfer into music programs at baccalaureate degree granting institutions with majors in music education, music therapy and music performance. Students are given intense music training in an inclusive and diverse educational experience. To explore their unique musical talents, students are trained with individual attention and support, as well as in ensemble settings, with performances that enrich the college and community.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate appropriate skill level on their applied instrument, and/or in operating appropriate music technology.
- Perform in an ensemble and demonstrate appropriate concert etiquette during a performance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of compositional techniques.
- Describe, recognize and aurally distinguish different musical styles and forms from the history of western music.
- Sight-read and perform with functional proficiency on the piano.
- Sight-sing in major and minor keys using solfeggio.
Brenda Dawe, Coordinator and Chairperson
Office: Campus Services Building, Room115A
Telephone: +1 (607) 778-5061
The A.S. in Music is designed for students interested in careers in music education, music performance, or music therapy. As a transfer degree, upon completion, students are prepared to take transfer placement exams at senior institutions in aural skills, theory, and music performance, and generally achieve junior standing at baccalaureate degree-granting institutions. Students selecting music as a major are expected to be committed to a career in music and intrinsically motivated to meet high standards in performance, aural skills, theory, and history.