Jun 15, 2024  
2023-2024 Official General Catalog 
2023-2024 Official General Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Information

Degree and General Requirements

  1. Filing of a final high school transcript that stipulates graduation or proof of completion of home schooling, TASC - Test Assessing Secondary Completion or GED.
  2. Successful completion of all courses required for the degree.
  3. A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (overall and program).
  4. Meeting of specific degree requirements.
  5. Meeting of the College’s General Education requirements.
  6. Satisfaction of all obligations to the College.
  7. Filing of an Intent to Graduate form in the final semester.
  8. Confirmation by the College that all degree requirements have been met.
  9. Earning twelve credits at the College. Fifteen credits is the College’s residency requirement. Transfer students, especially, should make note of the requirement.

Degrees and Certificates

The college offers Associate’s degrees in a number of fields of study. The Associate in Arts (AA) degree and the Associate in Science (AS) degree are intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution after graduation. The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and the Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree are intended for students who seek employment immediately after graduation.

In addition to degree programs, SUNY Broome Community College offers several certificate programs. Certificate programs carry approximately one year of college credits, can be completed in fewer than two years, and have more specific objectives than degree programs.

SUNY Broome also offers microcredentials. The microcredential is earned in less time than a degree or a certificate program.  

SUNY Broome Community College General Education Curriculum

To earn an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree from SUNY Broome Community College, the following credit and category requirements apply:

  • At least 30 credits of SUNY General Education during the first 60 credits of study
  • A minimum of seven (of ten) knowledge and skill areas, including the four specifically required
  • The two core competencies*

* The required core competencies: Critical Thinking and Reasoning and Information Literacy are not necessarily associated with any one course, but may be integrated within other courses.

General Education Knowledge and Skill Areas

The following four are specifically required for all undergraduate degree programs:

  • Communication – Written and Oral
  • Diversity: Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice
  • Mathematics (and Quantitative Reasoning)
  • Natural Sciences (and Scientific Reasoning)

In addition, a minimum of three of the following six are required for AA and AS programs:

  • Humanities
  • Social Sciences
  • The Arts
  • US History and Civic Engagement
  • World History and Global Awareness
  • World Languages

To earn an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree from SUNY Broome Community College, all graduates must successfully complete 20 credits of liberal arts content within their program. 

Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degrees and Certificate Programs are vocational programs that are designed specifically for job placement upon completion. AOS degrees and Certificate Programs have no general education or liberal arts requirements under SUNY and The State Education Department.

General Education Categories and Competencies

  1. Mathematics (required)*
  2. Natural Sciences
  3. Social Sciences
  4. American History
  5. Western Civilization
  6. Other World Civilization
  7. Humanities
  8. The Arts
  9. Foreign Language
  10. Basic Communication (required)*

Infused Competencies:

  1. Critical Thinking (required)*
  2. Information Management (required)*

Approved SUNY Broome General Education Course List

  1. Communication
    • Written
      • ENG 107
      • ENG 110
      • ENG 111
      • SPK 110
    • Oral
      • ENG 107
      • ENG 110
      • ENG 111
      • ENG 220
      • SPK 110
  2. Diversity: Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice
    • ANT 111
    • ANT 200
    • BIO 104
    • BUS 215
    • CRJ 111
    • HIS 130
    • HIS 131
    • HIS 187
    • HIS 194
    • LIT 274
    • MUS 113
    • PHI 203
    • POS 111
    • POS 201
    • POS 204
    • POS 205
    • SOC 110
    • SOC 111
    • SOC/HOS 186
    • SOC 220
  3. Mathematics (and Quantitative Reasoning)
    • BUS 115
    • MAT 115
    • MAT 118
    • MAT 119 
    • MAT 120 
    • MAT 124
    • MAT 127
    • MAT 130
    • MAT 133
    • MAT 136
    • MAT 146
    • MAT 148
    • MAT 156
    • MAT 160
    • MAT 181
    • MAT 182
  4. Natural Science (and Scientific Reasoning)
    • ANT 112
    • ANT 113
    • AST 113
    • ATM 114
    • BIO 102
    • BIO/HST 104
    • BIO 110
    • BIO 111
    • BIO 112
    • BIO 117
    • BIO 118
    • BIO 122
    • BIO 131 
    • BIO 132
    • BIO 150
    • BIO 200
    • BIO/ENV 212 
    • BIO/CLT 216
    • BIO 217
    • CHM 120
    • CHM 121
    • CHM/BHM 127
    • CHM/CUL 128
    • CHM/ART 129
    • CHM 141
    • CHM 142
    • CHM 145
    • CHM 146
    • EAS 123
    • GLG 115
    • GLG 125
    • HIT 240
    • HST 210
    • PHS 112
    • PHS 117
    • PHY 118
    • PHY 161
    • PHY 181
    • PHY 182
  5. Humanities
    • ART 102 
    • ART 103 
    • ART 104 
    • ART 108 
    • ART 110 
    • ART 111 
    • ART 113 
    • COM 100
    • COM 145
    • ECE 145 
    • ENG 220
    • HUM 104
    • LIT 200
    • LIT 210
    • LIT 211
    • LIT 214
    • LIT 215
    • LIT 217
    • LIT 218
    • LIT 220
    • LIT 233
    • LIT 235
    • LIT 240
    • LIT 250
    • LIT 253
    • LIT 260
    • LIT 263
    • LIT 267
    • LIT 270
    • LIT 274
    • LIT 275
    • LIT 277
    • LIT 285
    • LIT 290
    • LIT 291
    • MUS 101 
    • MUS 108
    • MUS 109 
    • MUS 111 
    • MUS 112 
    • PHI 102
    • PHI 201
    • PHI 203
    • THR 221
  6. Social Sciences
    • ANT 111
    • ANT/SOC 200
    • BUS/POS 116
    • BUS 122
    • CRJ 245
    • CRJ 246
    • ECO 110
    • ECO 111
    • POS 111
    • POS 201 
    • POS 204
    • POS 205
    • PSY 110
    • PSY 210
    • PSY 211
    • PSY 214
    • PSY 234
    • SOC 110
    • SOC 111
    • SOC 155
    • SOC/HOS 186
    • SOC 220
  7. The Arts
    • ART 102
    • ART 103
    • ART 104
    • ART 105
    • ART 106
    • ART 108
    • ART 110
    • ART 111
    • ART/COM 112
    • ART 113
    • ART 115
    • ART 116
    • ART 118
    • ART 125/COM 124
    • ART 130
    • ART 140
    • ART/COM 226
    • ART/ECE 145
    • ENG 170
    • ENG 175
    • MUS 101
    • MUS 104 
    • MUS 105
    • MUS 106
    • MUS 107
    • MUS 108
    • MUS 109
    • MUS 111
    • MUS 112
    • MUS 113 
    • THR 101
    • THR 102
    • THR 111
    • THR 112
    • THR 114
    • THR 221
  8. US History and Civic Engagement
    • HIS 130
    • HIS 131
    • HIS 187
    • HIS 194
  9. World History and Global Awareness
    • HIS 103
    • HIS 104
    • HIS 116
    • HIS 117
    • HIS 155
  10. World Languages
    • ASL 120
    • ASL 220
    • FRE 101
    • FRE 102
    • ITA 101
    • ITA 102
    • SPA 101
    • SPA 102
    • SPA 201
    • SPA 202

Declaration of Graduation Candidacy

Students intending to complete all degree requirements within a given semester are required to declare their intention to do so by filing an “Intent to Graduate” form (http://www.sunybroome.edu/registrar) with the Office of the Registrar.

Intent to Graduate form should be filed by:

  • Spring Semester: March 15
  • Summer Semester: March 15
  • Fall Semester: October 15

Students filing after these dates will be considered as graduates for the semester but may not receive their diplomas in a timely fashion or have their names indicated in the Commencement Booklet. No application for candidacy will be accepted after the last day of classes of the term being applied for. Students applying after that date will be considered graduates of the following semester, or of the semester/year in which they file a candidacy form.

Any student who completes their remaining degree requirements during the winter semester must submit their Intent to Graduate form for the following spring semester.


SUNY Broome Community College will conduct one formal graduation ceremony each year in the spring. All candidates for degrees may participate in the ceremony. A candidate is a student who will complete his/her degree requirements at the conclusion of the fall, spring, or summer semester. Candidates must have filed their “Intent to Graduate” form. Students who complete their degree requirements at the end of the fall semester will be invited to attend the next graduation ceremony which occurs the following Spring.

Candidates for graduation must have on file in the Registrar’s Office a copy of final high school transcript or proof of completion of homeschooling, TASC, or a GED diploma to receive a SUNY Broome degree or certificate. Candidates must also meet all other graduation requirements listed under Degree and General Requirements listed above.

Graduation with Honors

Students who graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.80 or better will receive the distinction of graduating with “High Honors” and those who graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 to 3.79 inclusive will graduate with “Honors.”   

Standards for Academic Progress

Standards for Academic Progress (SAP): Students are considered to meet the standards for academic progress and be in good academic standing at the end of a term and to be making progress toward a degree or certificate if the student maintains an academic achievement level at or above the point of Academic and Financial Aid Warning according to the following criteria.

1) Grade Point Average

Total Credits Attempted Minimum Cumulative GPA
12-20 1.50
Over 20-40 1.75
Over 40 2.00

2) Successful Accumulation of Credits
Students must successfully pass (“S”, “P”, and “D” grade or better) a total number of credits according to the following standard:

Total Credits Attempted Credits Earned
20 12
40 26
60 40
80 54

“Total credits attempted” include all credit hours for which the student was registered on or after the census date of a semester, regardless of later dropping or withdrawal from a course. Please note, “Total credits attempted” also includes developmental coursework as well as applicable transfer credits.

“Minimum Cumulative GPA” for SAP is calculated using “Total credits attempted,” but excludes the grades earned from transfer coursework.

Credits earned excludes these credit hours associated with grades of “F”, “W”, “WA”, or “I.”

Developmental courses do not give earned credit toward a degree at the college, but they are equivalent to the appropriate number of earned credits for academic standing. They are also factored into the grade point average used for calculating academic standing.

Transfer hours count towards credits attempted and earned.

Good Academic Standing

A student is considered to be in Good Academic Standing if they meet the Standards for Academic Progress outlined above.

Academic & Financial Aid Warning

A student that begins a term (fall, spring or summer) in Good Academic Standing, but does not meet the Standards for Academic Progress (SAP) requirements at the end of the term will be placed on Academic and Financial Aid Warning (fall, spring, or summer).

Academic Dismissal

A student who does not meet the minimum SAP requirements after being on Academic and Financial Aid Warning for one term will be academically dismissed. A student who has been academically dismissed may apply for reinstatement to the Academic Dismissal/Reinstatement Committee on the basis of: injury or illness, the death of a relative, or other special circumstances, with appropriate documentation.

A student who has been academically dismissed from a program and does not wish to apply for reinstatement may continue to attend as a non-matriculated student. A non-matriculated student may continue to take classes, but is not enrolled (matriculated) in the program and is not eligible for financial aid.

Notes: Students who chose to take classes as a non-matriculated student and who meet SAP requirements within 3 consecutive terms from Academic Dismissal (fall, spring, or summer) may be re-admitted into their previous program of study without re-applying through Admissions*. Students who take longer than 3 consecutive terms (fall, spring, or summer) to meet SAP requirements need to apply through Admissions to be readmitted.

*Competitive admission programs may have different requirements for readmission.

Academic Probation

A student whose application for reinstatement was approved will be reinstated to their program and placed on Academic Probation. The student will be required to develop an academic plan that will detail how the student will progress toward SAP. Students who do not meet the conditions of their academic plan will be academically dismissed and will not have the opportunity to submit an additional application for reinstatement to the Academic Dismissal/Reinstatement Committee.

Appeal Process for Denial of Reinstatement after Academic Dismissal

A student who has their application for reinstatement after academic dismissal denied by the Academic Dismissal/Reinstatement Committee has the opportunity to appeal the decision.

Grading Information

This grading policy was adopted by the College commencing with the Fall 1992 semester.

Grades Quality Points per Credit Hours Explanation
A 4.0 Superior Achievement
A- 3.7  
B+ 3.3  
B 3.0 Commendable Achievement
B- 2.7  
C+ 2.3  
C 2.0 Satisfactory Achievement
C- 1.7  
D 1.0 Minimal Achievement
F 0.0 Unsatisfactory or withdrawal after 10th week for a full-term course
P - Pass
S - Satisfactory
U - Unsatisfactory or withdrawal after 10th week
W - Withdrawn from a course between the 4th and 10th week for a full-term course (See “W” Grade below)
WA - Withdrawn Administratively 
I - Incomplete due to special circumstances (See “I” grade conditions)
AU - Audit. Classes may be changed to the “audit” grade mode
after the semester starts, provided that an add/drop or schedule
adjustment form is completed prior to the census date. This form must be
signed by the student, the department chairperson, and the
instructor. Financial aid is not awarded to classes that are
audited Funds issued to the student in the form of a book
voucher and/or financial aid funds spent at the SUNY Broome
Bookstore would also be paid back to the college by the
student. Please note: Accreditor requirements need to be
taken into account when considering whether a student may
audit a course.

Grade Point Average

Each grade carries a specified number of quality points (4.0 for an A, 3.7 for an A-, 3.3 for a B+, etc.) as described in the section on Grading Information. To determine a student’s Grade Point Average (GPA, multiply the number of quality points earned, according to the letter grade, by the number of credits for the course. Add these together and divide the sum by the total number of credits.

A Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated for each semester the student attends, and a cumulative summary is also shown on the student’s academic transcript.

For purposes of graduation eligibility, only those courses required for the degree will be used to determine if the criteria have been met for a 2.0 in courses applicable to the degree. This calculation will reflect the Program grade point average in the student’s field of study and will be fixed as of graduation. Any courses taken after that will not change the graduation GPA and will not be entered into the previous GPA in any way. The cumulative GPA, however, will reflect all courses taken by the student unless a course has been repeated, and a different grade was received.

Please note:  The students’ cummulative GPA must also equate to 2.0 for degree verification purposes.

“S” and “U” Grades

The S and U grade will apply only to specific courses determined by the appropriate departments and approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The S grade will count as earned hours. The U grade will not count as earned hours. Such courses will not affect the Grade Point Average (GPA).

“P” / “F” Grade Option

Students enrolled in standard grade mode classes may elect the Pass / Fail grade option in the event of extenuating circumstances. The P grade will count as earned hours and will not affect the Grade Point Average (GPA). The F grade will not count as earned hours and will have a negative impact on the GPA.

“W” Grade

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate action to receive a grade of “W” within the 4th and 10th weeks inclusive, for a full-term course. Students cannot receive a “W” grade after the 10th week for a full-term course.

“W” or “F” grade periods for courses which meet more or less than a full semester will be determined by the Registrar’s office.

“WA” Grade

Students’ who have poor attendance in classes after the census date will be withdrawn administratively from them. Those who do not follow the student code of conduct may also have the “WA” grade assigned to their classes.

“I” Incomplete Grade

An “I” or incomplete grade signifies that coursework cannot be completed during the term due to extenuating circumstances.

The “I” or incomplete grade shall be assigned by instructors only in cases where they have agreed to grant students extensions to complete coursework and a contract has been arranged between the student and instructor.

To petition for an “I” grade, the student must contact the instructor prior to the last class to arrange for the completion of the unfinished work. The instructor will file with the Office of the Registrar an “Incomplete Grade Contract” form, outlining the provisions to complete the “I” grade, including an agreed upon time limit that shall not exceed the last day of the next major semester. The instructor may grant an extension for an additional semester by completing another “I” Contract.

After the student has completed the work, the instructor will submit a “Notification of Grade Change” form to the Registrar for removal of the “I” grade. If the student does not meet the time limit, the “I” grade will be replaced by the grade of “F”.

When the Registrar is not notified by the instructor of a grade change, the Registrar will convert the “I” grades to “F” or “U” at the end of the next semester.

An instructor submitting a grade change for an “I” grade which has been converted to an “F” must follow the normal grade change provisions.

An “I” grade will be treated as an “F” grade in the calculation of academic progress. 


The letters AU will appear next to the course name on the transcript. Courses that are audited cannot be used to meet program requirements for graduation certification.

Note: Some courses are excluded from the auditing option. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for more information about auditing courses.

Senior Audits

Any citizen of New York State who is 60 years of age or more may “audit” courses at SUNY Broome Community College without charge, as long as there is space available. 

Repeating and Substitution of Courses

Students are strongly urged to determine the financial aid implications before electing to repeat a course in which a student has received a passing grade.

If a course is repeated, the higher grade will be included in the cumulative grade point average. If both grades are identical, the most recent grade will be included in the students’ GPA. All grades will appear on the student’s transcript.  All repeated courses add to the cumulative attempted credit hours for academic standing calculations.

In special circumstances, the academic dean may allow the substitution of an equivalent or similar course for a required course.  

Students repeating a course they have already passed (a “D” grade or better) may not be able to use that course as part of their calculation for full-time status for certification under the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and should be advised to check with the Financial Aid Office before registering for the repeated course.

While students are allowed to repeat coursework, all attempts at the repeated course count toward the credit hours attempted for financial aid purposes. Once a student has successfully passed a course with a grade of “D” or better, the student is only allowed to repeat the course one time with federal financial aid for a better grade. Courses in which a grade of “A”, are not repeatable because a better grade cannot be earned. (Certain exceptions apply to this rule, such as designated cross-listed courses, choir, physical education, and other coursework that may be counted more than once.)

Academic Grade Grievances

SUNY Broome Community College has established a procedure to provide students an opportunity to grieve grades in any particular course(s). The grievance procedure is available in the Student Handbook and through the Academic Affairs Division.

All Health Science students are subject to campus Policies and Standards for Academic Progress, as well as those included in the Program Policy and Procedures Manuals specific to each program.

President’s/Dean’s List

Full-time students, both matriculated and non-matriculated, who have a semester grade point average 3.80 or better will be named to the President’s List. Such students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours and have no “I” grade for that semester. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean’s List or the President’s List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses.

Full-time matriculated students who have a semester grade point average of 3.50 to 3.79 inclusive will be named to the Dean’s List. Such students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours and have no “I” grade for that semester. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean’s List or the President’s List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses. Non-matriculated students do not qualify for the Dean’s List.

Part-time matriculated students can earn a place on the President’s or Dean’s List by having the appropriate cumulative grade point average for their most recent semesters that include at least 12 credit hours and have no “I” grades for those semesters. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean’s List or the President’s List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses. Part-time matriculated students should contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Campus Grading Procedures and Information

  • Standards for Academic Progress
  • Academic Honesty
  • Academic Grievance Procedure
  • Student Handbook
  • Students should consult the course syllabus for individual course grading policies

Registration and Student Status

Instructional Methods

Students enrolled in online asynchronous, and online synchronous sections, will not be here on campus for these particular classes. Students enrolled in blended classes will be here on campus for those class meetings that are held face to face, as well as working online.

Online asynchronous classes are not held on campus. Students’ schedules will not reflect specific days and times of instruction. The student’s schedule will have a link to access for the online instruction.

Blended classes are held online and on campus. Students’ schedules will display days and times of instruction, as well as the building and room for those classes that are held on campus. Students’ schedules will also have a link to access for the online instruction.

Online synchronous classes are not held on campus for the students. Some instructors will be conducting these classes off campus while other instructors will be teaching here on campus. In both instances the student’s schedule will display the days and times of instruction. Students need to log into their class on those specific days and times in which the class is scheduled. The student’s schedule will not display the building and room nor will the class look up schedule display the building and room. The student’s schedule will have a link to access for the online instruction. Instructors who will be teaching in this format, here at SUNY Broome, will be notified of their classroom location once all room assignments are completed.

The following is the coding that we are using for our course sections.

1.) Online Asynchronous

  • For example, ENG 110Y01.
  • The section identifier includes “Y”.
  • Meeting Times and Days are blank.
  • Building and Room: OFDL OFDL (Off Campus Distance Learning)
  • Instructional Method: DLA (Distance Learning Asynchronous) (or DLAP for sections with online proctoring via Examity)
  • Campus: DLO - Distance Learning Online

2.) Blended

  • For example, ENG 110B01.
  • The section identifier includes “B”.
  • Meeting Times and Days are for those designated for those meetings and days in which the class will be held on campus.
  • Building and Room: The Building code and Room number assigned to on campus meetings.
  • Instructional Method: DLB (Distance Learning Blended) (or DLBP for sections with online proctoring via Examity)
  • Campus: M - Main

3.) Online Remote Synchronous

  • For example, ENG 110R01.
  • The section identifier includes “R”.
  • Meeting Times and Days are designated as the meeting times and days in which the student needs to log into the class.
  • Building and Room: OFDL OFDL (Off Campus Distance Learning) Faculty teaching in this mode on campus will be notified of the Building and Room.
  • Instructional Method: DLS (Distance Learning Synchronous) (or DLSP for sections with online proctoring via Examity)
  • Campus: DLO - Distance Learning Online

4.) HyFlex:

  • For example, ENG 110HF1.
  • The section identifier includes “HF”.
  • Meeting Times and Days are designed as the meeting times and days in which the student may log into the class or be on campus for the class. Students have the option of attending each class online asynchronous, online, synchronous, and face-to-face.
  • Building and Room will exist for these classes.
  • Instructional Method: HFX
  • Campus: Main

5.) Traditional

  • For example, ENG 110 01.
  • The section identifier does not include “Y” nor “B” nor “R”.
  • Meeting Times and Days exist for this face to face format.
  • Building and Room will exist for these classes.
  • Instructional Method: TR (Traditional)
  • Campus: Main

Late Registration

The late registration period begins the week before classes start. Late registration for credit courses may be permitted during the first week of classes with permission of the department chair, depending on course availability and academic ramifications. However, no students will be admitted to any course after the 1st week of that class without permission of the Dean. Exceptions to this rule may be made by a Division Dean.

A late fee will be charged for new registrations initiated after the semester begins.

Dropping a Course

Withdrawal from or dropping courses after classes begin does not remove financial obligations. In addition, students who received financial aid, including loans, may be required to pay back some or all of their funding.

For a student to drop a course after the start of the semester, an official “Add/Drop or Schedule Adjustment” form needs to be signed by the Department Chairperson or an authorized College Advisor, and filed with the Registrar. Exceptions to this rule are schedule changes necessitated by adding or dropping sections. In these instances, the process may be initiated by the Department.

Non-attendance in classes in NOT notice of official withdrawal.

Full semester courses may be officially dropped by students without receiving a “W” only within the first three weeks of class. Courses dropped within the fourth through tenth weeks result in a “W” for the dropped course. “W” or “F” grade periods for courses which meet more or less than full semester will be determined by the Registrar’s Office.

The college reserves the right to administratively withdraw any student from any course for non-attendance or poor attendance.

Adding a Course

During the first week of classes, if a course has not yet met, the student will be able to add the course with the assistance of the Registrar’s Office using the “Schedule Adjustment Request Form.”

Once a class begins, students should check with the instructor to see if they can be let into the class. If the instructor permits the student to be added, the department Chair will review the request and make a determination.

After the first week of classes, the addition of courses or changing of sections requires the approval of the divisional dean or his/her designee. The primary exceptions are courses where, upon advisement, a student may move to a lower level course.

In all cases, students must file the “Add/Drop or Schedule Adjustment” forms in order to become officially registered in additional courses.

Financial aid may not be available for courses added after the third week of the semester; contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

Students who attend classes in which their names do not appear on the class list should contact the Registrar’s Office.

Withdrawal from the College

SUNY Broome Community College has committed to a philosophy of providing whatever assistance is necessary to aid the student in completing his/her academic goals. Students are strongly encouraged to seek academic and personal counseling prior to any withdrawal.

Any student deciding to withdraw from the College must obtain a signed Drop Form from their advisor and complete a Withdrawal Form. The Withdrawal Form is available in the Academic Advising Office in the Student Services Building. Failure to comply may cause the individual to lose any possible refund of tuition and may negatively impact current and future financial aid resources. In addition, the student may receive an “F” grade for all courses.

Students who withdraw from all classes must reapply for admission through the Admissions Office to return to the college as a matriculated student.

Medical Withdrawal

  1. Students who have documented and verified medical or psychological reasons directly preventing the student from completing classes may be considered by the Divisional Dean or designee for a medical withdrawal.
  2. Medical withdrawals typically apply only to the student with the documented medical issue. A student who must directly care for a family member must follow the standard withdrawal procedure, except in exceptional circumstances as approved by the Dean or designee.
  3. Students should follow standard withdrawal procedures by completing an Add/Drop form when possible.  Students may then initiate the application for a Medical Withdrawal as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days after the end of the semester in which the medical issue occurred.
  4. Matriculated students may apply for a Medical Withdrawal through their Divisional Dean or designee.  Non-Matriculated students requesting a medical withdrawal should be referred to the Registrar’s Office. In both cases, the student will need to complete a drop form and an application for medical withdrawal.
  5. Students should be aware that withdrawals may negatively impact the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement for financial aid.
  6. Medical withdrawal has no effect on the student’s refund eligibility or financial obligations to the College. (See SUNY Broome Refund regulations)
  7. A medical withdrawal requires that the student submit original documentation signed by a licensed medical or clinical professional on official letterhead or physician’s prescription with contact information that states the student was unable to complete the semester. The documentation is kept in a confidential file. (See documentation checklist.)
  8. Students who withdraw for medical reasons must satisfy any outstanding financial or other obligations with the College.
  9. Students who withdraw from all classes must reapply for admission through the Admissions Office to return to the college as a matriculated student.
  10. Medical Withdrawal forms are available in the Office of the Registrar and/or Divisional Dean.
  11. If the medical withdrawal is approved, a letter grade of “W” will be recorded for all medically withdrawn courses taken during said semester.  The status of “Medical Withdrawal” or “Partial Medical Withdrawal” will be listed for that semester.
  12. Students who plan to return after a medical withdrawal may be required by the Divisional Dean to submit documentation that they are cleared to return to school, including classes, clinicals, labs, and/or internships.  In programs where physicals are required, students may also be required by the Divisional Dean to obtain an updated physical before returning to the College.

Documentation Checklist for Medical Letters for Withdrawal Requests

Letters in support of medical withdrawal should include the following seven points:

  1. Student name
  2. What prevented course completion? (e.g. surgery, severe injury, medical depression, specified illness).
  3. Date of first visit/treatment during the semester of requested withdrawal
  4. Period of treatment during the semester the withdrawal is requested
  5. If not a complete withdrawal of all courses, identify how circumstances prevented completion of specific identified course(s).
  6. Recommendation for withdrawal for medical reasons.
  7. Original document with signature and license number of healthcare professional on official letterhead or physician’s prescription with contact information, mailed or delivered, to the Divisional Dean’s office.

Extenuating circumstances may warrant a retroactive medical withdrawal. These must be considered by the Divisional Dean or designee. If granted, the student’s financial aid will not be impacted.

Fresh Start

A Fresh Start is intended to give a student who exited the College while not in good academic standing and who stopped out for two or more consecutive years the opportunity to begin college again.

  1. The student’s new Fresh Start Grade Point Average (GPA) will include only those grades earned after the Fresh Start was granted. No grade (A through F) awarded prior to re-admittance will be included in the new cumulative GPA. However, all prior grades and GPAs will remain visible on the student’s record.
  2. Credits for courses taken before re-admittance in which the student earned a C- or D cannot be counted as earned credits toward degree completion.
  3. Once granted, the Fresh Start option cannot be rescinded and can be used only once.
  4. The granting of a Fresh Start applies to a student’s progress towards degree completion, and does not restore financial aid eligibility or change academic standing. Students entering competitive health science programs are unable to use the Fresh Start Policy. A student may have one GPA that applies toward the degree major and graduation, and another GPA that applies to financial aid eligibility.
  5. The Fresh Start is instated once the student has completed a minimum of six or more credit hours of coursework in the semester in which the student returned to the college. The student must have earned a grade of C or better in each course attempted. The following notation is placed on the student’s transcript: Student Granted Fresh Start.

The student applies for a Fresh Start by completing the Request for Academic Fresh Start form obtained at the Registrar’s Office.

Change of Program

Any student wishing to change curriculum must request a “Change of Program” form from the Registrar’s Office. Program changes after the first week of classes will not be effective until the following semester. 

The Change of Program Policy is administered under the following criteria:

  1. All previous courses and grades will remain on the permanent record.
  2. The academic standing of the student at the time of the Change of Program will be maintained. 
  3. The student will be bound by the graduation requirements of the current catalog at the time of the program change.
  4. Graduation GPA is calculated on the requirements of the new program degree requirements and not necessarily the overall GPA.

Dual Degree 

Students seeking two degrees from the College should consult their Academic Advisor to determine their eligibility under State University of New York guidelines.

Semester Credit Overload

During the Fall and Spring semesters, no student may enroll (register) for more than 20.5 credits without approval from their Divisional Dean or designee.

During the Summer semester, no matriculated student may register for more than 12.0 credits for all summer terms without permission from their Divisional Dean or designee. During the Winter semester, no matriculated student may register for more than 8.0 credits without permission from their Divisional Dean or designee.

Length of Program

Most associate degree programs are designed to be completed in two years. The college year is divided into two major semesters of 15 weeks each.  Some students may choose or be required to take more than four semesters to earn their degrees. For example, selected health science programs have required clinical or laboratory experiences in the summer or winter term.

Procedure for Student Name Change or Social Security Number Change

If a student wishes to change his or her name at SUNY Broome Community College, the following policy and procedure must be used by the requestor:

Log into the student’s MyCollege account and complete the Name Change form. Name change must be completed with the proper documentation.

Proper documentation may include any one of the following items:

  1. A copy of name change on Social Security card or approved SS form.
  2. A State Driver’s License (picture) showing the name change.
  3. Legal document changing the name.
  4. Marriage license, wedding announcement from newspaper, or divorce decree.
  5. Other documentation, at the discretion of the Registrar.

Once the name change/social security change form is submitted, it goes to Information Technology Services for processing. Once the name change/social security change has been processed the Information Technology Services Department will notify the Campus Life Office. At that time Campus Life will send currently enrolled students an updated Student ID card.   

Classroom Practices

Attendance Regulations

General Attendance Policy

Students who regularly attend classes have a better success record than students who do not regularly attend classes. With the intent of encouraging student success, SUNY Broome strongly urges students to regularly attend their classes. In fact, the College’s policy is that attendance in all scheduled course activities is expected as part of each student’s responsibility for his/her own education.  Absence from class is considered a serious matter and does not excuse a student from classwork. A student must complete all assignments, examinations, and other requirements of any course, to receive credit.

Absence from class may also affect a student’s academic standing and eligibility for financial aid. (See Reporting of Official Course Attendance below)

The College understands that students are sometimes absent from classes due to uncontrollable circumstances. In these cases, the students need to meet with their instructors to discuss missed work.

Reporting of Official Course Attendance

The College is required to administratively deregister a student for a course(s) based on official course attendance as reported by the instructor of the course.  Students who have never attended a course before the census date, or had poor attendance after the census date, will be deregistered from the course by the Registrar’s Office and notified of this action.  This may result in a loss of financial aid.  

Reporting of Official Course Attendance (including for the purpose of financial aid funding) is determined by a student’s academic participation in the course.  Official course attendance is defined by any of the following activities:

  • Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
  • Submitting an academic assignment;
  • Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
  • Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution;
  • Participating in an online discussion about academic matters;
  • Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course

Official course attendance does not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:

  • Logging into an online class without active participation;
  • Participating in academic counseling or advisement;
  • Living in institutional housing;
  • Participating in the institution’s meal plan

Students who are administratively dropped for non-attendance during the semester continue to have a tuition and fee obligation.

Absence due to Religious Beliefs

Section 224-a of the State Education Law reads:

  1. No person shall be expelled from, or be refused admission as a student to, an institution of higher education for the reason that he/she is unable, because of his/her religious beliefs, to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study or work requirements on a particular day or days.
  2. Any student in an institution of higher education who is unable, because of his/her religious beliefs, to attend classes on a particular day or days, may be excused from any examination or any study or work requirements.
  3. It shall be the responsibility of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to make available to each student who is absent from school, because of his/her religious beliefs, an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study or work requirements which he/she may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such equivalent opportunity.
  4. If registration, classes, examinations, study or work requirements are held on Friday after four o’clock post meridian or on Saturday, similar or makeup classes, examinations, study or work requirements shall be made available on other days, where it is possible and practicable to do so.  No special fees shall be charged to the student for these classes, examinations, study or work requirements held on other days.
  5. In effectuating the provisions of the section, it shall be the duty of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to exercise the fullest measure of good faith. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student because of his/her availing himself/herself of the provisions of this section.
  6. Any student, who is aggrieved by the alleged failure of any faculty or administrative officials to comply in good faith with the provisions of this section, shall be entitled to maintain an action or proceeding in the supreme court of the county in which such institution of higher education is located for the enforcement of his rights under this section.
    1. It shall be the responsibility of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to give written notice to students of their rights under this section, informing them that each student who is absent from school, because of his or her religious beliefs, must be given an equivalent opportunity to register for classes or make up any examination, study or work requirements which he or she may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to such student such equivalent opportunity.
  7. As used in this section, the term “institution of higher education” shall mean any institution of higher education, recognized and approved by the regents of the university of the state of New York, which provides a course of study leading to the granting of a post-secondary degree or diploma. Such term shall not include any institution which is operated, supervised or controlled by a church or by a religious or denominational organization whose educational programs are principally designed for the purpose of training ministers or other religious functionaries or for the purpose of propagating religious doctrines. As used in this section, the term “religious belief” shall mean beliefs associated with any corporation organized and operated exclusively for religious purposes, which is not disqualified for tax exemption under section 501 of the United Stated Code.

    (a) As a supervised releasee you may appeal a decision to:  Change or add a special condition of supervised release, revoke supervised release, or impose a term of imprisonment or a new term of supervised release after revocation. You may not appeal one of the general conditions of release.

    (b) If we add a special condition to take effect immediately upon your supervised release, you may appeal the imposition of the special condition no later than 30 days after the date you begin your supervised release. If we change or add the special condition sometime after you begin your supervised release, you may appeal within 30 days of the notice of action changing or adding the condition. You must follow the appealed condition until we change the condition in response to your appeal.

    (c) You cannot appeal if we made the decision as part of an expedited revocation, or if you asked us to change or add a special condition of release.

    (d) You must follow the procedures of § 2.26 in preparing your appeal. We will follow the same rule in voting on and deciding your appeal.

Academic Honesty


It is the policy of SUNY Broome Community College to educate students about academic honesty standards, encourage adherence to the standards, and enforce the practice of acting with the highest standards of honesty and personal integrity in all aspects of their academic careers.

Student Responsibilities

Students share the responsibility for maintaining academic honesty.  Students are expected to:

  1. Refrain from acts of academic dishonesty
  2. Refuse to aid or abet any form of academic dishonesty
  3. Notify instructors and/or appropriate administrators about observed incidents of academic dishonesty
  4. Encourage other students to adhere to the standards of academic honesty

General Classroom Standards

Students are responsible for completing all course requirements as specified in the course syllabus. They are also obliged to be on time to class and to comply with the College’s Civility Statement.

Supplemental and Alternative Learning Opportunities

Developmental Courses

The college offers developmental courses for those desiring skill improvement or review. Developmental courses have course numbers that begin with “0”, for example MAT 093, and prepare students for credit level work in the basic skills areas of mathematics, listening, literacy, speaking, writing and reading. These non-credit courses are equivalent in time to credit bearing classes and are applicable toward academic standing and athletic and financial aid eligibility. Developmental courses are graded on a letter basis (A, A-, B+, etc.) and are not calculated in the student’s grade point average. Developmental course credits do not apply toward degree requirements or programs.

Learning Skills Courses

The college offers a number of courses to help students improve skills that contribute to their academic success or to identify potential career interests. These courses are designated as LRS or LTR. See the college catalog for more information.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College will recognize successful achievement at or above the 50th percentile on CLEP subject exams in accordance with SUNY and American Council of Education guidelines. Approval of credit for degree requirements or electives is determined by the appropriate department. Credit approval will be handled as transfer credit. Under certain circumstances, a department may accept general examination scores.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), Credit by Examination (CBE), Portfolio Review

SUNY Broome Community College provides its matriculated students with the potential opportunity to gain credit for Prior Learning. Prior Learning is a means of assessing knowledge acquired outside the traditional college and classroom environment. It includes: Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), Credit by Examination (CBE), and Portfolio Review (PORT). 

Prior Learning Assessment credit (PLA, CBE, and PORT) is issued by the Department Chair where the academic program is located.  

Please review SUNY Broome’s Community College’s campus procedure Prior Learning Assessment, Credit by Examination (CBE) and Portfolio Review (PORT) (pdf)

Independent Study

There are two types of Independent Study.  An Independent Study is a one-to-one teaching/learning experience involving one student and one faculty member.

  1. A Guided Study provides a student the opportunity to take an established College course independently but under the guidance of a faculty member.  A typical rationale for a Guided Study is that a student needs to take a course to meet a degree requirement but is unable, for whatever reason, to attend the class meetings of any scheduled course sections or to take the course online. Further, the student’s waiting to take the course in a later semester would prevent the student from graduating on time. A second rationale is that a student has registered for a course section, but the section is subsequently cancelled because of insufficient enrollment, and the student is unable, for whatever reason, to attend the class meetings of any other course sections in which seats are available or to take the course online. A Guided Study is not intended to supplant an established course.
  2. An Advanced Study provides a very able and highly motivated student the opportunity to explore a topic of study in greater breadth and depth than would be possible in an established College course.

Weekend and Evening Programs

SUNY Broome Community College offers several options for students to complete programs during evenings, weekends, or fully online:  www1.sunybroome.edu/academics/online-learning/

The college also offers a special Evening/Weekend Nursing, AAS program:  www1.sunybroome.edu/programs/nursing-eveningweekender/

Distance Education (Online@SUNYBroome)

SUNY Broome Community College offers many online programs and courses that are hosted in the college’s learning management system. Students receive instruction, submit assignments, discuss content, ask questions of their peers and instructors, collaborate on group assignments, engage with our student and academic support service areas, and actively participate in the overall college experience without ever having to set foot on campus. While the online environment provides a significant amount of flexibility for students, online courses are not self-paced, and students are expected to participate and complete assignments according to a course schedule.

Most of SUNY Broome’s online courses are online asynchronous, meaning that there is not a specific time a student has to meet online, although there may be exceptions to that if the online academic program requires a clinical or practicum experience. Our online courses meet the same rigor, standards, and learning outcomes that our traditional courses offer and are taught by trained faculty that have experience with the learning management system and provide a high level of instruction and student support. Even if not enrolled in an online program, students may choose to enroll in online courses that meet their degree requirements, adding a level of flexibility to their schedule.

Additionally, SUNY Broome has a number of remote synchronous courses, where students are required to log in and participate at a scheduled time using video conferencing technology. We also offer an array of Hyflex courses, which simultaneously combine online asynchronous, remote synchronous, and face-to-face instruction into a single course section, with the modality of direct instruction determined by each individual participant. Hyflex courses promote a student-centered flexible learning experience, and is uniquely supportive of post-traditional and adult students with multiple demands on their time.  

The Online@SUNYBroome website is a valuable resource for students seeking to learn more about Distance Education at SUNY Broome and provides a listing of our online certificates and degree granting programs which are delivered 50% online, 75% online, and 100% online. The site also has resources for prospective students thinking about taking an online course or enrolling in an online program, as well as detailed information including how to access the college’s learning management system, registration information, and a Frequently Asked Questions section for students currently enrolled in our distance education offerings.

International Students

International students have specific needs regarding visa and immigration matters, adjusting to a new culture, and ensuring success in the U.S. academic environment. At SUNY Broome Community College, the Assistant Director of Admissions/International Student Support Services (ISSS) assists students with all immigration and personal concerns throughout their studies at SUNY Broome Community College. Students can apply at: https://www2.sunybroome.edu/international/intl-admissions/prosp/apply/

SUNY Broome Community College is authorized and certified under federal law to enroll non-immigrant F1 (Visa) students. The International Admissions Office can offer information on current immigration regulations to assist international students in applying for and maintaining their legal status while studying in the United States. These services are available to SUNY Broome Community College international students before they leave their home country, upon arrival, and throughout their stay at SUNY Broome Community College.

International Admissions/Support Services is located in the Admissions Office, Wales Building, Room 102. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM all year (excluding major holidays and summer hours may vary). To make an appointment, please visit the office or call +1 (607) 778-5187. Walk-in hours are available during the school year, please call for current days and times. You can also contact our office by email at international@sunybroome.edu for any immigration questions and/or concerns you may have.

International Student Health Insurance

International Student Health is mandatory for all international students on both an F and J visa, as well as their dependents. Our health insurance cannot be waived. If you’re an international student and need more information about health insurance, you can contact Susan Wellington, Assistant Director of Admissions/ISSS at wellingtonsl@sunybroome.edu or +1 (607) 778-5187.

Travel Courses

There are some academic courses that have a travel component. Faculty-led programs involve travel to a variety of domestic and international destinations. The travel portion usually ranges from 2-4 weeks. These programs are meant to broaden knowledge and expand cultural experiences.

The costs of these courses are included in the student’s tuition; however, the travel expenses and costs are an additional charge. For more information on these faculty-led programs, please contact International Admissions at +1 (607) 778-5187 or +1 (607) 778 5030.

AP/IB Exam Equivalencies

For information about AP/IB Equivalencies, please contact the Registrar’s Office:

+1 (607) 778-5527 or registrar@sunybroome.edu

Student Services (SS) Room 105

Transfer Agreements and Bachelor Partnerships

SUNY Broome Community College graduates have successfully transfered to an array of four-year colleges and universities, including public, private, in-state and out-of-state. The College maintains agreements and partnerships with many institutions of higher education. For more information on articulation agreements or Bachelor Partnerships, please contact the Career, Transfer and Bachelor Partnership Department for more information. +1 (607) 778-5207 or careercenter@sunybroome.edu

Guaranteed SUNY Transfer

SUNY Broome Community College graduates who transfer within SUNY benefit from transfer-friendly policies. Students transferring directly from SUNY Broome Community College with an AA or AS degree are guaranteed admission to a SUNY four-year institution, with guaranteed junior standing when transferring to a parallel program at a SUNY four-year institution. Satisfactorily completed general education requirements at one SUNY institution will meet the same requirement at another SUNY institution. SUNY transfer paths outline core coursework for specified majors that are common to all SUNY campuses offering those majors to maximize credit acceptance. Program to program articulation agreements outline transfer requirements from SUNY Broome Community College to another SUNY institution.

Transfer Agreements

View our transfer agreements at https://www2.sunybroome.edu/transferagreements/

Part-Time Studies

General Information

SUNY Broome Community College attracts a large number of part-time students each year. Many of them also work full-time. The College has a strong commitment to serving the part-time student.

Part-time students are those who take fewer than 12 credits per semester. At SUNY Broome Community College, part-time students can:

  • take day, evening, or online classes.
  • attend classes in the fall, spring, summer, or winter semester.
  • work towards a degree/certificate/microcredential. 
  • take classes in areas that interest them.
  • receive academic advising and other academic support services.
  • borrow books from the College library.
  • transfer applicable credits to SUNY Broome Community College earned at another college.
  • students that have selected a degree program carrying at least 6 credit hours are considered for financial aid; matriculated students carrying fewer than 6 credit hours may also qualify for some Federal and State financial aid. All students should complete their FAFSA as early as possible.

Matriculation of Part-Time Students

Although part-time students can take courses without being matriculated (admitted into a program of study), students planning to earn a degree or certificate should matriculate early in their studies to ensure they take the appropriate courses toward a credential. Financial aid assistance requires formal admission (matriculation) to a degree program.