Sep 25, 2023  
Spring 2019 Official General Catalog 
Spring 2019 Official General Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Information

Click on any of the following links for information:

Degree and General Requirements

  1. Filing of a final high school transcript that stipulates graduation or proof of completion of homeschooling , TASC - Test Accessing Secondary Completion or GED.
  2. Successful completion of all courses required for the degree.
  3. A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (overall and program).
  4. Meeting of specific degree requirements.
  5. Meeting of the College’s General Education requirements.
  6. Satisfaction of all obligations to the College.
  7. Filing of an Intent to Graduate form in the final semester.
  8. Confirmation by the College that all degree requirements have been met.
  9. Earning twelve credits at the College.  Twelve credits is the College’s residency requirement.  Transfer students, especially, should make note of the requirement.

Degrees and Certificates

The College offers Associate’s degrees in a number of fields of study.  The Associate in Arts (AA) degree and the Associate in Science (AS) degree are intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution after graduation.  The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and the Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree are intended for students who will seek employment immediately after graduation; however, transfer opportunities are also available.

In addition to degree programs, SUNY Broome Community College offers several certificate programs. Certificate programs carry approximately one year of college credits, can be completed in fewer than two years, and have more specific objectives than degree programs.  To view the degree and certificate programs, click on the link below.  To view the requirements of each of the degree or certificate programs, click on the individual programs.

SUNY Broome Community College General Education Curriculum

To earn an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree from SUNY Broome Community College, all graduates must successfully complete 30 credits in at least 7 of the 10 General Education Areas.  The general education areas of Mathematics and Basic Communication are required.  The other five general education areas may be chosen by particular programs based on the academic needs or the transferability of the program, left for individual students to decide based on their academic interests or planned transfer path, or a combination of the two.

Infused competencies are required elements that are to be integrated throughout the general education program.  The Critical Thinking and Information Management competencies are not necessarily associated with any one course, though either or both of them could be imparted in specific “Critical Thinking” or “Information Management” courses.

To earn an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree from SUNY Broome Community College, all graduates must successfully complete 20 credits of liberal arts content within their program.  The general education areas of Mathematics and Basic Communication are strongly encouraged, but may not be required by specific programs.  The remaining Liberal Arts content may be chosen by particular programs based on the academic needs or the transferability of the program, left for individual students to decide based on their academic interests or planned transfer path, or a combination of the two, as long as those courses satisfy The Rules of the Board of Regents Section 3.47 (c).

Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degrees and Certificate Programs are vocational programs that are designed specifically for job placement upon completion.  Courses within AOS degrees and Certificate Programs are directed toward specific occupational and/or professional objectives.  AOS degrees and Certificate Programs have no general education or liberal arts requirements under SUNY and The State Education Department.

General Education Course Distribution Model

General Education Areas:

  1. Mathematics (required)*
  2. Natural Sciences
  3. Social Sciences
  4. American History
  5. Western Civilization
  6. Other World Civilization
  7. Humanities
  8. The Arts
  9. Foreign Language
  10. Basic Communication (required)*

Infused Competencies:

  1. Critical Thinking (required)*
  2. Information Management (required)*

Approved SUNY Broome General Education Course List

  1. Mathematics
    • BUS 115
    • CAS 109
    • MAT 109
    • MAT 115
    • MAT 116
    • MAT 117
    • MAT 118
    • MAT 119
    • MAT 120
    • MAT 124
    • MAT 127
    • MAT 130
    • MAT 136
    • MAT 146
    • MAT 156
    • MAT 160
    • MAT 181
    • MAT 182
    • MAT 224
    • MAT 245
    • MAT 250
    • MAT 260
    • MAT 264
    • MAT 266
    • MAT 281
    • MAT 282
  2. Natural Sciences
    • ANT 112
    • ANT 113
    • ART 129
    • BHM 127
    • BIO 111
    • BIO 112
    • BIO 115
    • BIO 117
    • BIO 118
    • BIO 131
    • BIO 132
    • BIO 140
    • BIO 150
    • BIO 200
    • BIO 202
    • BIO 211
    • BIO 212
    • BIO 216
    • BIO 218
    • CHM 120
    • CHM 121
    • CHM 123
    • CHM 124
    • CHM 125
    • CHM 126
    • CHM 127
    • CHM 129
    • CHM 133
    • CHM 141
    • CHM 142
    • CHM 145
    • CHM 146
    • CHM 245
    • CHM 246
    • CHM 247
    • CHM 265
    • CHM 290
    • CLT 206
    • CLT 208
    • CLT 209L
    • CLT 210
    • CLT 216
    • CLT 220L
    • CLT 240
    • CLT 242
    • ENV 212
    • MLT 210
    • MLT 220L
    • MLT 240
    • MLT 242
    • PHS 111
    • PHS 112
    • PHS 113
    • PHS 114
    • PHS 115
    • PHS 116
    • PHS 117
    • PHS 123
    • PHS 125
    • PHS 210
    • PHS 226
    • PHY 105
    • PHY 118
    • PHY 160
    • PHY 161
    • PHY 162
    • PHY 181
    • PHY 182
    • PHY 281
  3. Social Sciences
    • ANT 111
    • ANT 114
    • BUS 116
    • BUS 215
    • CRJ 245
    • ECO 105
    • ECO 110
    • ECO 111
    • GEO 120
    • POS 201
    • POS 203
    • POS 204
    • POS 205
    • PSY 110
    • PSY 210
    • PSY 211
    • PSY 212
    • PSY 214
    • PSY 217
    • PSY 223
    • PSY 227
    • PSY 230
    • PSY 240
    • PSY 245
    • PSY 250
    • PSY 255
    • SOC 110
    • SOC 111
    • SOC 220
    • SOC 250
    • SOS 101
    • SOS 111
    • SOS 116
    • SOS 120
    • SOS 155
    • SOS 186
  4. American History
    • HIS 130
    • HIS 131
    • HIS 194
    • HIS 175
    • HIS 183
    • HIS 187
    • HIS 188
    • HIS 189
  5. Western Civilization
    • HIS 100
    • HIS 103
    • HIS 104
    • HIS 155
    • HIS 156
    • HUM 101
    • HUM 102
  6. Other World Civilizations
    • HIS 116
    • HIS 117
    • HIS 141
    • HIS 163
    • HIS 164
  7. Humanities
    • ART 102
    • ART 103
    • ART 104
    • ART 108
    • ART 109
    • ART 110
    • ART 146
    • COM 145
    • COM 200
    • ENG 220
    • HUM 101
    • HUM 102
    • HUM 103
    • HUM 104
    • HUM 135
    • LIT 200
    • LIT 201
    • LIT 210
    • LIT 211
    • LIT 214
    • LIT 215
    • LIT 220
    • LIT 225
    • LIT 230
    • LIT 233
    • LIT 235
    • LIT 240
    • LIT 250
    • LIT 253
    • LIT 260
    • LIT 263
    • LIT 264
    • LIT 270
    • LIT 272
    • LIT 274
    • LIT 276
    • LIT 277
    • LIT 280
    • LIT 285
    • LIT 290
    • LIT 291
    • LIT 294
    • LIT 295
    • LIT 297
    • LIT 298
    • MUS 101
    • MUS 104
    • MUS 108
    • MUS 109
    • MUS 111
    • MUS 112
    • MUS 113
    • MUS 114
    • PHI 102
    • PHI 104
    • PHI 105
    • PHI 201
    • PHI 203
    • PHI 206
    • SPA 204
    • SPA 207
    • THR 102
    • THR 221
  8. The Arts
    • ART 102
    • ART 103
    • ART 104
    • ART 105
    • ART 106
    • ART 108
    • ART 109
    • ART 110
    • ART 111
    • ART 112
    • ART 113
    • ART 115
    • ART 116
    • ART 118
    • ART 119
    • ART 125
    • ART 130
    • ART 140
    • ART 145
    • ART 146
    • ART 215
    • ART 217
    • ART 222
    • ART 226
    • ART 227
    • ART 228
    • ART 230
    • BIO 119
    • COM 112
    • COM 124
    • COM 145
    • COM 200
    • COM 205
    • COM 215
    • COM 222
    • COM 226
    • ECE 145
    • ENG 170
    • ENG 175
    • MUS 101
    • MUS 104
    • MUS 105
    • MUS 106
    • MUS 107
    • MUS 108
    • MUS 109
    • MUS 111
    • MUS 112
    • MUS 113
    • MUS 114
    • MUS 180
    • MUS 185
    • MUS 188
    • PED 135
    • PED 137
    • THR 101
    • THR 102
    • THR 109
    • THR 110
    • THR 111
    • THR 112
    • THR 114
    • THR 117
    • THR 151
    • THR 152
    • THR 161
    • THR 165
    • THR 175
  9. Foreign Language
    • ARA 101
    • ARA 102
    • ASL 120
    • ASL 220
    • FRE 101
    • FRE 102
    • FRE 201
    • FRE 202
    • GER 101
    • GER 102
    • ITA 101
    • ITA 102
    • ITA 201
    • ITA 202
    • RUS 101
    • SPA 101
    • SPA 102
    • SPA 201
    • SPA 202
    • SPA 203
    • SPA 204
    • SPA 207
  10. Basic Communication
    • ENG 107
    • ENG 108
    • ENG 110
    • ENG 111
    • ENG 150
    • SPK 110

Waiver of Degree Requirements

Students seeking waivers of degree requirements should consult their Program Chairs or, where no Program Chair exists, the appropriate Dean.

Dual Degree Award

Students seeking two degrees from the College should consult their Program Chairs or the appropriate Dean to determine their eligibility under State University of New York guidelines.

Declaration of Graduation Candidacy


Students intending to complete all degree requirements within a given semester are required to declare their intention to do so by filing an “Intent to Graduate” form ( with the Office of the Registrar.

Intent to Graduate form should be filed by:
Spring Semester - March 15
Summer Semester - March 15
Fall Semester - October 15

Students filing after these dates will be considered as graduates for the semester but may not receive their diplomas in a timely fashion or have their names indicated in the Commencement Booklet. No application for candidacy will be accepted after the last day of classes of the term being applied for. Students applying after that date will be considered graduates of the following semester, or of the semester/year in which they file a candidacy form.



SUNY Broome Community College will conduct one formal graduation ceremony each year in the spring. All candidates for degrees may participate in the ceremony. A candidate is a student who will complete his/her degree requirements at the conclusion of the fall, spring, or summer semester. Candidates must have filed their “Intent to Graduate” form. Students who complete their degree requirements at the end of the fall semester will be invited to attend the next graduation ceremony which occurs the following Spring.

Candidates for graduation must have on file in the Registrar’s Office a copy of final high school transcript or proof of completion of homeschooling, TASC, or a GED diploma to receive a SUNY Broome degree or certificate.

Graduation with Honors


Students who graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.80 or better will receive the distinction of graduating with “High Honors” and those who graduate with a cumulative grade point average between 3.50 and 3.79 inclusive will graduate with “Honors.”   

Standards for Academic Progress


Minimum Grade Point Average

In order to be in good academic standing and to be making academic progress toward a degree or certificate, a student must meet a minimum cumulative grade point average and successfully accumulate credits according to the following standards:

1) Grade Point Average

Credits Attempted   Minimum Cumulative GPA
12-20   1.50
Over 20-40   1.75
Over 40   2.00

2) Successful Accumulation of Credits
Students must successfully pass (“S”, “P”, and “D” grade or better) a total number of credits according to the following standard:

Credits Attempted   Credits Earned
20   12
40   26
60   40
80   54
100   68
120   82
140   96
160   110
180   124
200   138
220   152
240   166
260   180
280   194
300   208

“Credits attempted” include all credit hours for which the student was registered after the census date of a semester, regardless of later dropping or withdrawal from a course. “Credits earned” excludes those credit hours associated with grades of “F”, “W”,”WA”, “U”, or “I” (Incomplete).

By the time a student has attempted 20 credits, he/she must have successfully earned 12 credits. Likewise, 40 credits trigger the 26 credit minimum required. Any course in which a student is enrolled past the census date is considered an attempted hour. Developmental courses do not give earned credit toward a degree at the college, but they are equivalent to the appropriate number of earned credits for academic standing.

Transfer hours count towards credits attempted and earned.

Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning

Students’ records will be reviewed at the end of each semester by the Registrar. Students who have not met the minimum cumulative standards will be placed on Academic Probation. Additionally, these students whether they have received financial aid or not, will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. Students placed on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning will be invited to develop an academic plan to help avoid academic dismissal and loss of financial aid in the future. Students who fail to develop an Academic Plan at this time may lose all financial aid in the future if academic improvement does not meet the College Standards for Academic Progress. During this probationary time, the student is expected to remain in contact with his/her advisor or department chairperson. General standards for students on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning require the student to regain good academic standing by the end of their probationary semester (see section on Grade Point Average and Successful Accumulation of Credits above). Other probationary standards may be required, such as limitation on total credit hours taken in the probationary semester, or specified, or regular meetings.

Academic Dismissal

If a student does not meet the standards for Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning at the end of the probationary semester, the student will be dismissed from the College and lose financial aid eligibility. Notification of dismissal will be sent by the College Registrar.

Attendance after Dismissal

To continue in attendance, a dismissed student must submit an Appeal for Academic and Financial Aid Continuance to his/her Divisional Dean or designee. Petitions can be obtained from the Dean’s Office. Based on a review of the student’s academic record and discussions with the student, the Dean or designee will determine the student’s status as follows:

Continuance of Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning

Students who voluntarily entered into an Academic Plan when first placed on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning may be granted an automatic appeal approval and allowed to continue with their education and receive financial aid with the stipulation that they renew and/or revise their academic plan with their advisor or department chairperson. Financial aid will continue as long as the student continues to follow the academic plan and makes academic progress, meaning completion of 70% or more of semester credits attempted and achievement of a minimum semester GPA of 2.0.


Students who fail to meet academic standards after being placed on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning will be dismissed. The programs for these students may be changed to non-matriculated status and students either leave the College or continue on their own without financial aid.

Appeal of Dismissal

Students who are dismissed from the College who did not voluntarily enter into an Academic Plan when first placed on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning may appeal their dismissal from the College. An appeal will be considered successful if the student can show that an unusual circumstance such as a documented death of a relative of the student, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstance led to the dismissal. If it is determined that an unusual circumstance existed that led to the dismissal, the student will be permitted to continue in the degree program and receive financial aid. If the student continues without an academic plan the student must return to good standing by the end of the semester or be dismissed from the College and receive a permanent loss of financial aid. A student who continues after an appeal and enters into an academic plan will continue to receive financial aid as long as the academic plan is followed and the student makes academic progress as previously defined.

At any time after a student is granted an automatic appeal or an appeal based on unusual circumstances, the student fails to follow the academic plan, or fails to regain good academic standing, the student will be dismissed and have a permanent loss of financial aid.

Academic Plans

Academic Plans are entered into between the student and the academic department and may require the restriction on the number of credit hours for which a student may register during a semester. For example, a student on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning may be restricted to 12 - 13 credits or even part-time status. Students academically dismissed and placed on Continued Academic Probation and Financial Aid Probation may be restricted to one or two courses. Academic Plans may also require students to take specific courses, repeat courses, or prohibit the student from taking specific courses. Note that students who cannot regain good academic standing in one semester must be placed on an academic plan. Note also that by attaining a minimum 2.0 GPA during each semester after academic dismissal, it is mathematically impossible to attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 needed to regain good academic standing.

Readmission after Absence

Students academically dismissed who have lost their financial aid and who have been absent from the College for a semester or more must reapply for admission and petition the dean for continuance of study. Readmission to the College does not reinstate financial aid. Once a student who has been dismissed and readmitted to the College attains the Standards for Academic Progress, the student may apply once again for financial aid. These students may also re-appeal to their academic dean after a semester that they successfully complete 70% of coursework attempted and a minimum semester 2.0 GPA.

Academic Grievance Procedure

Information about the academic grievance procedure is available in the Student Handbook and through the Office of the Chief Academic Officer.

Academic Standards for Clinical Education 

Academic standards for clinical education in the Health Sciences Division allow for immediate dismissal of students from their program of study upon failure to meet established academic objectives, required competencies or, in situations that could impact patient physical or psychological safety, or confidentiality of patient information.

Dismissal/Readmittance for Health Science Degree Programs

Students enrolled in Health Science degree programs must meet all academic and clinical progression policies and requirements in order to remain in good standing and progress in that program.

All Health Science students are subject to the campus Policies and Standards for Academic Progress, as well as those included in the Program Policy and Procedures Manuals, specific to each program.  Program policies and procedures may hold the student to a higher standard than outlined in the campus Policies and Standards for Academic Progress.

Students dismissed from one of the Health Science Division programs for academic reasons may apply for readmission and will be considered for re-entry under the competitive admissions process for the program and in concert with all that program’s s applicable program policies and procedures.

Students permanently dismissed from one Health Sciences program for other than academic reasons may be ineligible for re-admittance to that program and also may be ineligible for admission to other Health Sciences programs.  If a student is dismissed from a program for other than academic reasons (e.g., serious behavioral/conduct violation that seriously violated program policies/procedures), the student must meet with the chair of the program to which they wish to apply in order to determine program eligibility in light of the conduct/behavioral violation.

Students dismissed from these programs under program policies lose the curriculum designator and will no longer be advised by the departmental faculty or chairperson. They are advised to see an academic advisor, if they wish to continue taking courses within another curriculum.

Students who have successfully completed one or more major courses in a health science program and interrupt their course of study due to extenuating circumstances (e.g., medical withdrawal) or other significant event and who interrupt their course of study with the knowledge and approval of the program chair may be readmitted directly into program courses with permission of the department chair if program policies and procedures permit.

Each Health Science program may have additional readmission policies and procedures.  Students should check with the appropriate program chair to review these in light of the student’s situation.

Grading Information

This grading policy was adopted by the College commencing with the Fall 1992 semester.

Grades   Quality Points per Credit Hours   Explanation
A   4.0   Superior Achievement
A-   3.7    
B+   3.3    
B   3.0   Commendable Achievement
B-   2.7    
C+   2.3    
C   2.0   Satisfactory Achievement
C-   1.7    
D   1.0   Minimal Achievement
F   0.0   Unsatisfactory or withdrawal after 10th week for a full-term course
S   -   Satisfactory
U   -   Unsatisfactory or withdrawal after 10th week
W   -   Withdrawn from a course between the 4th and 10th week for a full-term course (See “W” Grade below)
WA   -   Withdrawn Administratively due to lack of attendance
I   -   Incomplete due to special circumstances (See “I” grade conditions)
AU   -   Audit. Classes may be changed to the “audit” grade mode
after the semester starts, provided that an add/drop form
is completed prior to the census date. This form must be
signed by the student, the department chairperson, and the
instructor. Financial aid is not awarded to classes that are
audited Funds issued to the student in the form of a book
voucher and/or financial aid funds spent at the SUNY Broome
Bookstore would also be paid back to the college by the
student. Please note: Accreditor requirements need to be
taken into account when considering whether a student may
audit a course.

Grade Point Average

Each grade carries a specified number of quality points (4.0 for an A, 3.7 for an A-, 3.3 for a B+) as described in the section on Grading Information. To determine a student’s Grade Point Average (GPA, multiply the number of quality points earned, according to the letter grade, by the number of credits for the course. Add these together and divide the sum by the total number of credits.

A Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated for each semester the student attends, and a cumulative summary is also shown on the student’s academic transcript.

For purposes of graduation eligibility, only those courses required for the degree will be used to determine if the criteria have been met for a 2.0 in courses applicable to the degree. This calculation will reflect the Program grade point average in the student’s field of study and will be fixed as of graduation. Any courses taken after that will not change the graduation GPA and will not be entered into the previous GPA in any way. The cumulative GPA, however, will reflect all courses taken by the student unless a course has been repeated, and a different grade was received.

“S” and “U” Grades

The S and U grade will apply only to specific courses determined by the appropriate departments and approved by the Chief Academic Officer. Such courses will not affect the Grade Point Average (GPA).

“W” Grade

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate action to receive a grade of “W” within the 4th and 10th weeks inclusive, for a full-term course. Students cannot receive a “W” grade after the 10th week for a full-term course.

“W” or “F” grade periods for courses which meet more or less than a full semester will be determined by the Registrar’s office.

“WA” Grade

Students’ who have poor attendance in classes after the census date will be withdrawn administratively from them.  The “WA” grade will be assigned to these classes.

“I” Incomplete Grade

An “I” or incomplete grade signifies that coursework cannot be completed during the term due to extenuating circumstances.

The “I” or incomplete grade shall be assigned by instructors only in cases where they have agreed to grant students extensions to complete coursework and a contract has been arranged between the student and instructor.

To petition for an “I” grade, the student must contact the instructor prior to the last class to arrange for the completion of the unfinished work. The instructor will file with the Office of the Registrar an “Incomplete Contract” form, outlining the provisions to complete the “I” grade, including an agreed upon time limit that shall not exceed the last day of the next major semester. The instructor may grant an extension for an additional semester by completing another “I” Contract.

After the student has completed the work, the instructor will submit a “Notification of Grade Change” form to the Registrar for removal of the “I” grade. If the student does not meet the time limit, the instructor shall direct the Registrar to record the appropriate grade.

When the Registrar is not notified by the instructor of a grade change, the Registrar will convert the “I” grades to “F” or “U” at the end of the next semester.

An instructor submitting a grade change for an “I” grade which has been converted to an “F” must follow the normal grade change provisions.

An “I” grade will be treated as an “F” grade in the calculation of academic progress. If a student is academically dismissed during the semester in which an “I” grade was granted, subsequent passing of the course may not rescind the academic dismissal.


The term “Audit” designates a status, not a grade. The letters AU will appear next to the course name on the transcript.  Courses that are audited cannot be used to meet program requirements for graduation certification.

Senior Audits

Any citizen of New York State who is 60 years of age or more may “audit” courses at Broome Community College without charge, as long as there is space available. In this context, the word “audit” means these students take the course by attending classes and being exposed to all the work given in class and assigned in the text. They do not have to do the homework or take the examinations, however, and they receive no letter grade or college credit.

Repeating and Substitution of Courses

Students are strongly urged to determine the financial aid implications before electing to repeat a course in which a student has received a passing grade.


If a course is repeated, the higher grade will be included in the cumulative grade point average. All grades will appear on the student’s transcript.


In special circumstances, the department chair may allow the substitution of an equivalent or similar course for a required course. In such cases, the higher grade will be included in the student’s program grade point average.

A course in which a grade of “W” is received is only considered as attempted credit hours. All repeated courses add to the cumulative attempted credit hours for academic standing calculations.

Students repeating a course they have already passed (a “D” grade or better) may not be able to use that course as part of their calculation for full-time status for certification under the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and should be advised to check with the Office of the Registrar before registering for the repeated course.

While students are allowed to repeat coursework, all attempts at the repeated course count toward the credit hours attempted for financial aid purposes. Once a student has successfully passed a course with a grade of “D” or better, the student is only allowed to repeat the course one time with federal financial aid for a better grade. Courses in which a grade of “A”, “S”, or “P” have earned are not repeatable because a better grade cannot be earned. (Certain exceptions apply to this rule, such as designated cross-listed courses, choir, physical education, and so forth.)

Academic Grade Grievances

SUNY Broome Community College has established a procedure to provide students an opportunity to grieve grades in any particular course(s) or academic dismissal. Copies of the Student Academic Grievance procedure are available in the offices of the Divisional Deans. The policy also appears in the Student Handbook.

President’s/Dean’s List

Full-time students, both matriculated and non-matriculated, who have a semester grade point average 3.80 or better will be named to the President’s List. Such students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours and have no “I” grade for that semester. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean’s List or the President’s List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses.

Full-time matriculated students who have a semester grade point average between 3.50 and 3.79 inclusive will be named to the Dean’s List. Such students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours and have no “I” grade for that semester. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean’s List or the President’s List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses. Non-matriculated students do not qualify for the Dean’s List.

Part-time matriculated students can earn a place on the President’s or Dean’s List by having the appropriate cumulative grade point average for their most recent semesters that include at least 12 credit hours and have no “I” grades for those semesters. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean’s List or the President’s List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses. Part-time matriculated students should contact the Registrar’s Office if they have the appropriate grades.

Campus Grading Procedures and Information



Registration and Student Status


Late Registration:

The late registration period begins the week before classes start. Late registration for credit courses may be permitted during the first week of classes with permission of the department chair, depending on course availability and academic ramifications. However, no students will be admitted to any course after the 1st week of that class without permission of the Dean. Exceptions to this rule may be made by a Division Dean.

A late fee will be charged for new registrations initiated after the semester begins.

Dropping a Course:

Withdrawal from or dropping courses after classes begin does not remove financial obligations. In addition, students who received financial aid, including loans, may be required to pay back some or all of their funding.

For a student to drop a course after the start of the semester, an official “Drop/ Add” form needs to be signed by the Department Chairperson or an authorized College Advisor, and filed with the Registrar.  Exceptions to this rule are schedule changes necessitated by adding or dropping sections. In these instances, the process may be initiated by the Department.

Non-attendance in classes is NOT notice of official withdrawal.

Full semester courses may be officially dropped by students without receiving a “W” only within the first three weeks of class. Courses dropped within the fourth through tenth weeks result in a “W” for the dropped course. “W” or “F” grade periods for courses which meet more or less than full semester will be determined by the Registrar’s Office.

The College reserves the right to administratively withdraw any student from any course for non-attendance or poor attendance.

Adding a Course:

Once a class begins, students may only add courses or change sections with the approval of the Department Chair or designee from the department offering the course.

After the first week of classes, the addition of courses or changing of sections requires the approval of the divisional dean or his/her designee. The primary exceptions are courses where, upon advisement, a student may move to a lower level course.

In all cases, students must file the “Drop/Add” forms in order to become officially registered in additional courses.

Financial aid may not be available for courses added after the third week of the semester; contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

Students who attend classes in which their names do not appear on the class list should contact the Registrar’s Office.

Withdrawal from the College

SUNY Broome Community College has committed to a philosophy of providing whatever assistance is necessary to aid the student in completing his/her academic goals. Students are strongly encouraged to seek academic and personal counseling prior to any withdrawal.

Any student deciding to withdraw from the College must obtain a signed Drop Form from their department and complete a Withdrawal Form. The Withdrawal Form is available in the Academic Advising Office in the Student Services Building. Failure to comply may cause the individual to lose any possible refund of tuition and may negatively impact current and future financial aid resources. In addition, the student may receive an “F” grade for all courses.

Medical Withdrawal:

  1. Students who have documented and verified medical or psychological reasons directly preventing the student from completing classes may be considered by the Divisional Dean for a medical withdrawal.
  2. Medical withdrawals typically apply only to the student with the documented medical issue. A student who must directly care for a family member must follow the standard withdrawal procedure, except in exceptional circumstances as approved by the Dean.
  3. Students should follow standard withdrawal procedures by completing an Add/Drop form when possible.  Students may then apply for a Medical Withdrawal as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days after the end of the semester in which the medical issue occurred.
  4. Matriculated students may apply for a Medical Withdrawal through their Divisional Dean or designee.  Non-Matriculated students requesting a medical withdrawal should be referred to the Registrar’s Office.   In both cases, the student will need to complete a drop form and an application for medical withdrawal.
  5. Students should be aware that withdrawals may negatively impact the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement for financial aid.
  6. Medical withdrawal has no effect on the student’s refund eligibility or financial obligations to the College. (See SUNY Broome Refund regulations)
  7. In most cases, granting of a Medical Withdrawal for a semester does not impact academic dismissal status or financial aid eligibility.
  8. A medical withdrawal requires that the student submit original documentation signed by a licensed medical or clinical professional on official letterhead or physician’s prescription with contact information that states the student was unable to complete the semester. The documentation is kept in a confidential file. (See documentation checklist.)
  9. Students who withdraw for medical reasons must satisfy any outstanding financial or other obligations with the College.
  10. Students who withdraw from all classes must reapply for admission through the Admissions Office to return to the college as a matriculated student.
  11. Medical Withdrawal forms are available in the Office of the Registrar and/or Divisional Dean.
  12. If the medical withdrawal is approved, a letter grade of “W” will be recorded for all medically withdrawn courses taken during said semester.  The status of “Medical Withdrawal” or “Partial Medical Withdrawal” will be listed for that semester.
  13. Students who plan to return after a medical withdrawal may be required by the Divisional Dean to submit documentation that they are cleared to return to school, including classes, clinicals, labs, and/or internships.  In programs where physicals are required, students may also be required by the Divisional Dean to obtain an updated physical before returning to the College.


Letters in support of medical withdrawal should include the following seven points:

  1. Student name
  2. What prevented course completion? (e.g. surgery, severe injury, medical depression, specified illness).
  3. Date of first visit/treatment during the semester of requested withdrawal
  4. Period of treatment during the semester the withdrawal is requested
  5. If not a complete withdrawal of all courses, identify how circumstances prevented completion of specific identified course(s).
  6. Recommendation for withdrawal for medical reasons.
  7. Original document with signature and license number of healthcare professional on official letterhead or physician’s prescription with contact information, mailed or delivered, to the Divisional Dean’s office.

Fresh Start

Any student who has been absent from SUNY Broome for 2 years (24 months) and was not in good academic standing may receive a Fresh Start. The student is responsible for initiating the Fresh Start procedure. The following conditions apply to the awarding of Fresh Start:

  1. The Fresh Start will go into effect after the eligible student has passed all registered coursework (minimum of six or more credit hours required) in the semester they return with a 2.0 GPA for the courses attempted. The following notation will appear on the transcript at the end of the semester in which the Fresh Start goes into effect: “Student Granted Fresh Start”.
  2. The Fresh Start Grade Point Average (GPA) will include all grades earned at the end of the first semester back at SUNY Broome. No grade (A through F) awarded prior to re-admittance will be included in the new cumulative GPA.
  3. All prior grades and coursework will remain on the record. However, only prior credits from courses in which the student received a grade of “C” or better can be applied toward the degree. Credits from courses in with a “C-” or “D” cannot be applied toward the degree.
  4. The Fresh Start option, once granted, cannot be rescinded; can only be used once; and cannot be applied to a previously granted degree.
  5. The granting of a Fresh Start applies only toward progress to the degree, and does not restore financial aid eligibility or change academic standing. All credits attempted and earned before and after the award of a Fresh Start apply to financial aid and academic standing, including Competitive Health Science Rank; therefore, a student may have one GPA that applies toward the degree major and graduation, and another GPA that applies to financial aid eligibility, competitive health science rank, academic standing.

To initiate a Fresh Start, students may obtain a-request from the Registrar’s office, their Dean’s office, or the Academic Advising Office in the Student Services Building.

Change of Program

Any student wishing to change curriculum must request a “Change of Program” form from the Registrar’s Office. It must have the approval of the new division dean/designee or department chairperson and the signature of the current division dean/designee or department chairperson. Program changes after the first week of classes will not be effective until the following semester.

The Change of Program Policy is administered under the following criteria:

  1. All previous courses and grades will remain on the permanent record.
  2. The academic standing of the student at the time of the Change of Program will be maintained. For example, a student on academic probation and financial aid warning at the time he or she applied for the change, will remain on academic probation and financial aid warning. Students who have been dismissed must file an appeal with the dean of the division which sponsors the new curriculum.
  3. The student will be bound by the graduation requirements of the current catalog at the time of the program change.
  4. Graduation GPA is calculated on the requirements of the new program degree requirements and not necessarily the overall GPA.

Semester Credit Overload

During the Fall and Spring semesters, no student may enroll (register) for more than 20.5 credits without approval from their divisional dean.


During the Summer semester, no matriculated student may register for more than 12.0 credits for all summer terms without permission from their divisional dean. During the Winter semester, no matriculated student may register for more than 4.0 credits without permission from their divisional dean.

Length of Program

Most associate degree programs are designed to be completed in two years. The college year is divided into two major semesters of 15 weeks each. Some students may choose or be required to take more than four semesters to earn their degrees. For example, selected health science programs have required clinical or laboratory experiences in the summer or winter term.

Procedure for Student Name Change or Social Security Number Change

If a student wishes to change his or her name at SUNY Broome Community College, the following policy and procedure must be used by the requestor:

Name change form must be filled out and turned into the Registrar’s Office with picture ID.  Name change will be done with the proper documentation. Proper documentation may include any one of the following items:

  1. A copy of name change on Social Security card or approved SS form.
  2. A State Driver’s License (picture) showing the name change.
  3. Legal document changing the name.
  4. Marriage license, wedding announcement from newspaper, or divorce decree.
  5. Other documentation, at the discretion of the Registrar.

A copy of the above documentation should be made by the Registrar’s office and placed in the student’s folder.  Name change/social security change goes to Information Technology Services for processing.  Once the name change/social security change has been processed the Information Technology Services Department will notify the Student Activities Office.  At that time Student Activities will send currently enrolled students an updated Student ID card.   

Credit Equivalent

Some courses at SUNY Broome Community College carry credit equivalents. This means that they do not give a student credit toward a degree at the College, but they are equivalent to the appropriate number of credits for calculating academic loading and tuition. This credit load is used to determine a student’s status as full-time or part-time, for financial aid, for billing, and for academic standing. Courses carrying these credit equivalents fall in the 080 or 090 numbering series. Examples are: ENG 090 Basic Language Skills; MAT 090 Foundations of College Mathematics I; RDG 090 Reading Fundamentals; RDG 092 College Preparatory Reading (see Developmental Courses for more information).

Classroom Practices


Attendance Regulations

General Attendance Policy

Students who regularly attend classes have a better success record than students who do not regularly attend classes. With the intent of encouraging student success, SUNY Broome strongly urges students to regularly attend their classes. In fact, the College’s policy is that attendance in all scheduled course activities is expected as part of each student’s responsibility for his/her own education. Absence from class is considered a serious matter and does not excuse a student from classwork. A student must complete all assignments, examinations, and other requirements of any course, to receive credit.

Absence from class may also affect a student’s academic standing and eligibility for financial aid. (See Reporting of Official Course Attendance below.)

The College understands that students are sometimes absent from classes due to uncontrollable circumstances. In these cases, the students need to meet with their instructors to discuss missed work.

Reporting of Official Course Attendance

The College is required to administratively deregister a student for a course(s) based on official course attendance as reported by the instructor of the course. Students who have never attended a course before the census date, or had poor attendance after the census date, will be deregistered from the course by the Registrar’s Office and notified of this action. This may result in a loss of financial aid. This may result in the loss of financial aid.

Reporting of Official Course Attendance (including for the purpose of financial aid funding) is determined by a student’s academic participation in the course. Official course attendance is defined by any of the following activities:

  • Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
  • Submitting an academic assignment;
  • Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
  • Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution;
  • Participating in an online discussion about academic matters
  • Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course

Official course attendance does not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:

  • Logging into an online class without active participation
  • Participating in academic counseling or advisement.
  • Living in institutional housing;
  • Participating in the institution’s meal plan;

Students who are administratively dropped for non-attendance during the semester continue to have a tuition and fee obligation.

Department/ Program/ Course Attendance Requirements

Within the spirit and framework of College policy, departments or instructors may develop their own additional standards for attendance for academic purposes. Such standards or guidelines are subject to the approval of the Chief Academic Officer, and should be made available to students through a course syllabus or program policy manual.

Absence due to Religious Beliefs

Section 224-a of the State Education Law reads:

  1. No person shall be expelled from, or be refused admission as a student to, an institution of higher education for the reason that he/she is unable, because of his/her religious beliefs, to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study or work requirements on a particular day or days.
  2. Any student in an institution of higher education who is unable, because of his/her religious beliefs, to attend classes on a particular day or days, may be excused from any examination or any study or work requirements.
  3. It shall be the responsibility of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to make available to each student who is absent from school, because of his/her religious beliefs, an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study or work requirements which he/she may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such equivalent opportunity.
  4. If registration, classes, examinations, study or work requirements are held on Friday after four o clock post meridian or on Saturday, similar or makeup classes, examinations, study or work requirements shall be made available on other days, where it is possible and practicable to do so. No special fees shall be charged to the student for these classes, examinations, study or work requirements held on other days.
  5. In effectuating the provisions of the section, it shall be the duty of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to exercise the fullest measure of good faith. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student because of his/her availing himself/herself of the provisions of this section.
  6. Any student, who is aggrieved by the alleged failure of any faculty or administrative officials to comply in good faith with the provisions of this section, shall be entitled to maintain an action or proceeding in the supreme court of the county in which such institution of higher education is located for the enforcement of his rights under this section.
    1. A copy of this section shall be published by each institution of higher education in the catalog of such institution containing the listing of available courses.
  7. As used in this section, the term “institution of higher education” shall mean schools under the control of the Board of Trustees of the State University of New York or of the Board of Higher Education of the City of New York or any community college.

Academic Honesty


It is the policy of SUNY Broome Community College to educate students about academic honesty standards, encourage adherence to the standards, and enforce the practice of acting with the highest standards of honesty and personal integrity in all aspects of their academic careers.

Student Responsibilities

Students share the responsibility for maintaining academic honesty. Students are expected to:

a. Refrain from acts of academic dishonesty

b. Refuse to aid or abet any form of academic dishonesty

c. Notify instructors and/or appropriate administrators about observed incidents of academic dishonesty

d. Encourage other students to adhere to the standards of academic honesty

Faculty Responsibilities

Faculty members have the responsibility to support academic honesty in their classrooms. Faculty members are expected to:

a. Explain the meaning of academic honesty to their students and refer them to the campus policy

b. Conduct their classes in a way that makes academic dishonesty difficult

c. Address students suspected of academic dishonesty and take appropriate disciplinary action in a timely manner


1. An instructor has the prerogative of failing a student who has violated the Academic Honesty Policy on an exam, paper, project, report, or other assignment for that exercise only.

2. An instructor has the prerogative of failing a student in the course when the student has violated the Academic Honesty Policy a second time; A grade of “F” assigned to a student for academic dishonesty is final and shall be placed on the transcript. If the student withdraws from the course, a “W” will not replace an “F” assigned for academic dishonesty. Academic disciplinary actions taken by the instructor based on alleged cheating may be appealed as specified in the College’s Academic Appeals Procedure.

General Classroom Standards

Students are responsible for completing all course requirements as specified in the course outline. They are also obliged to be on time to class and to treat their instructors and fellow students respectfully.

Individuals who are disruptive and whose behavior adversely affects the learning of fellow students may be removed from class.


Students should be prepared for the requirement to use a computer in any course they register for at SUNY Broome regardless of whether it is a fully online, blended or face-to-face section. Questions regarding the types of activities required in a specific course or section should be directed to the department offering the course.

Supplemental and Alternative Learning Opportunities


Developmental Courses

The college offers developmental courses for those desiring skill improvement or review. Developmental courses have course numbers that begin with “0” , for example MAT 082 or ENG 090, and prepare students for credit level work in the basic skills areas of mathematics, listening ,literacy, speaking, writing and reading. These non-credit courses are equivalent in time to credit bearing classes and are applicable toward academic standing and athletic and financial aid eligibility. Developmental courses are graded on a letter basis (A, A-, B+, etc.) and are not calculated in the student’s grade point average. Developmental course credits do not apply to degree or certificate programs.

Refer to the course catalog for a complete listing of developmental courses.

Learning Skills Courses

The college offers a number of courses to help students improve skills that contribute to their academic success or to identify potential career interests. These courses are designated as LRS, LTR, or SAC courses. See the college catalog for more information.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College will recognize successful achievement at or above the 50th percentile on CLEP subject exams in accordance with SUNY and American Council of Education guidelines. Approval of credit for degree requirements or electives is determined by the appropriate department. Credit approval will be handled as transfer credit. Under certain circumstances, a department may accept general examination scores.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), Credit by Examination (CBE), Portfolio Review (Campus Procedure 3.12)

SUNY Broome Community College provides its matriculated students with the potential opportunity to gain credit for Prior Learning. Prior Learning is a means of assessing knowledge acquired outside the traditional college and classroom environment. It includes: Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), Credit by Examination (CBE), and Portfolio Review (PORT). 

Prior Learning Assessment credit (PLA, CBE, and PORT) is issued at the prerogative of the Department Chair where the academic program is located. If the student changes majors/academic programs, Prior Learning Assessment credit will be reviewed/reassessed. If the course discipline is located in a program where the student is not enrolled, the Prior Learning Assessment credit will need to be reviewed and approved by the appropriate Department Chair for that discipline. 

While the Health Studies Division unanimously endorses the concept of prior learning, many of the accredited programs in the division due to patient safety concerns and accreditation requirements cannot utilize the (PLA) for awarding course credit. Specifics about PLA, CBE, and PORT in the Health Studies Division are listed within the campus procedure.  

Please review SUNY Broome’s Community College’s campus procedure (3.12): Prior Learning Assessment, Credit by Examination (CBE) and Portfolio Review (PORT) (pdf)

Service Learning

Service Learning is an experiential form of education that combines academic study, community service, and student reflection. Students select service projects that connect to their coursework, are of personal significance to them, and record their experiences through reflection. Several courses offer students the option of a service-learning experience component. The service learning activity supplements classroom activity and includes an academic component.

Students will be required to devote a specific number of hours to the community agency. The time commitment varies by course and instructor, but typically includes a minimum of 20 hours over the course of the semester.

Independent Study

The College offers two types of Independent Study.

  • A Guided Study provides a student the opportunity to take an established College course independently but under the guidance of a faculty member. Students must seek faculty sponsorship for a Guided Study. A formal contract between the student and the faculty member stipulates the student learning outcomes of the Guided Study, the activities that will help the student to meet those outcomes, and the methods and measures to be employed to assess the student’s performance. Authorization proceeds through the faculty member, the Department Chair, and the Dean. A Guided Study is not intended to supplant an established course. The Guided Study course will appear on the student’s transcript under the rubric and title of the established course.
  • An Advanced Study provides a very able and highly motivated student the opportunity to explore a topic of study in greater breadth and depth than would be possible in an established College course. Students must seek faculty sponsorship for an Advanced Study. A formal contract between the student and the faculty member stipulates the student learning outcomes of the Advanced Study, the activities that will help the student to meet those outcomes, and the methods and measures to be employed to assess the student’s performance. Authorization proceeds through the faculty member, the Department Chair, and the Dean. The Advanced Study will appear on the student’s transcript under the appropriate disciplinary rubric followed by 299 and the title of the Advanced Study.

Honors Program

The SUNY Broome Community College Honors Program provides unique and enriched educational opportunities through organized coursework and extracurricular activities for students who are self-motivated, committed, and who desire a learner-driven college experience.  Emphasis is placed on interdisciplinary activities, offered in traditional and online formats, that develop effective communication and critical thinking, analysis, and leadership skills that aid students in their academic, professional, and personal lives.  The learning community of students, faculty, and staff both challenge and support each other to ensure high quality learning experiences and success for students in any major or modality who are transferring or entering the workplace.


Honors Program Requirements and Instructions:

          1)  Apply to the College and enroll in a degree program.


          2)  Arrange to send all transcripts to SUNY Broome Community College.

  • Incoming students must demonstrate an overall GPA of 90/3.5
  • Continuing and transfer students must demonstrate a 3.5 GPA in their most recent 12 credit hours at SUNY Broome Community College or another college


3)  Complete the online SUNY Broome Honors Program Application.


4)  Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis, and decisions will be made based on availability of space.


Once accepted, students must maintain at least a cumulative 3.2 GPA.  Students will enroll in and ultimately complete at least 12 credits of Honors courses and 1-3 credits of an Honors project.  If a student chooses not to join the Honors Program but would like to enroll in an Honors Course, the student can petition to enroll in an individual course if he/she has a 3.2 GPA or above.

Information is available on our website at

Weekend, Evening, Online, and Offsite Offerings

SUNY Broome Community College offers several options for students to complete programs during evenings, weekends, or fully online. 

College-on-the-Weekend students can earn an Associate in Applied Science degree in Business with an emphasis in Human Resource Management or Marketing, or an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Accounting. Many courses in this program are taught in a blended format, so students typically meet on campus every third weekend and complete the remaining coursework online. For more information, please contact the Business Department.

The Evening Weekend nursing program is a part-time nursing degree option that meets two evenings a week and every other weekend during the Spring and Fall semesters.

This degree option can be completed in a minimum of six semesters.   Liberal arts and science courses necessary for a SUNY Broome nursing degree will need to be taken prior to starting the program if a student wishes to be part-time.  If taken concurrently with nursing, students may need to be full-time.   The evening weekend nursing program is a competitive admission Health Science program.   Part-time evening/weekend students are subject to the same requirements and policies as students in the full-time day program.

SUNY Broome Community College offers courses at several offsite locations. Please refer to the website and course schedule for a listing of current offerings.

The College also offers a variety of fully online degrees and certificates.

Distance Education (Online@SUNYBroome)

SUNY Broome Community College offers a number of Distance Education courses each semester that are presented online through an Internet-based learning management system.  Students receive instruction, submit assignments, discuss content, ask questions of fellow students and their instructors, work on group assignments, and actively participate in academic experiences; all from their home, office, or from any place they have access to the Internet.  While the online environment provides much flexibility for the student, the courses are not self-paced.  There are assigned class activities that students participate in according to a class schedule and due dates that must be met.

The majority of online courses offered at SUNY Broome Community College are asynchronous, which means that there typically is no specific time a student has to be online or meet face-to-face.  Since every course, instructor and discipline is different, there may be exceptions to the totally asynchronous model.  These exceptions could include courses with required face-to-face meetings or exams, online synchronous activities (chat, online meeting, etc.), a clinical experience, or other synchronous component.  Students should contact the department offering the course with any questions or concern regarding the required activities for a specific section being offered.

Online courses meet the same rigor, standards, and learning outcomes that our traditional courses offer.  They are often taught by the same faculty that teach the course on campus and provide a high level of instruction and personal attention from the instructor.

In many majors, students can complete a substantial part, or all, of their degree requirements online.

The Online@SUNYBroome website at is a valuable resource for students seeking to learn more about Distance Education at SUNY Broome.  The site provides information for prospective students thinking about taking an online course, as well as detailed instructions and a “FAQ” area for students currently enrolled in our distance education offerings.

International Students

Credits, Transcripts, and Tuition

For Study Abroad, Semester, Intersession and Summer Session

Students register at SUNY Broome and pay the appropriate tuition, which in some cases covers the instructional cost abroad. Students are monitored through consortium offices at the college they attend. Upon the successful completion of the formal program or after fulfillment of the contract, students will receive a SUNY Broome transcript reflecting the grades achieved or the course equivalents for the work done through the contract, greatly facilitating transfer of credits to other American institutions.

Full-time students registering for courses that are scheduled other than in the Fall or Spring semesters will be charged at the part-time tuition rate. Sessions other than fall and spring semesters will be called Summer Session and Intersession.

The usual refund policy is not in effect for students taking courses in the Intersession and summer. Refund policies in semester length programs are determined by the receiving foreign institutions.

Grades received for all courses taken from the beginning of the Fall Semester through the end of that semester will be considered first semester grades. Grades received for all courses taken from the end of the first semester through the end of the second semester (even if taken in January or abroad) will be recorded as second semester grades.

Summer Session is treated like a third semester. The regular college grading system is used for all programs. All credits earned are SUNY Broome Community College credits, which allows students to use their financial aid packages for semester length programs.

Students may earn up to 18 credits per semester, leading to an associate’s degree. Credits for Intersession/short-term programs range from one to six, depending on the time spent abroad, and the instruction offered in the program.

An Overseas Study bulletin board is maintained in the first floor lobby of Titchener Hall.

For additional details about any of the above programs, students should contact the International Studies Program Office at 607 778-5030.

Baccalaureate Transfer


SUNY Broome Community College graduates have successfully transferred to a wide array of baccalaureate degree granting higher education institutions. These include both private and public colleges and universities in and out of New York State. The College offers transfer counseling and maintains articulation agreements for a wide variety of programs and institutions. Please contact the Counseling Department or Department Chairperson for more information.

Special Transfer Programs


Guaranteed SUNY Transfer

SUNY Broome graduates who transfer within SUNY benefit from transfer-friendly policies. Students transferring directly from SUNY Broome with an AA or AS degree are guaranteed admission to a SUNY four-year campus, with guaranteed junior standing when transferring to a parallel program at a SUNY four-year campus. Satisfactorily completed general education requirements at one SUNY campus will meet the same requirement at another SUNY campus. SUNY Transfer Paths outline core coursework for specified majors that are common to all SUNY campuses offering those majors to maximize credit acceptance. Program to program articulation agreements outline transfer requirements from SUNY Broome to another SUNY campus.

Faculty members will work directly with students on an individual basis to develop accurate transfer plans. It is always important for each student to take personal responsibility for the transfer process and to communicate in writing directly with the intended transfer institution, including the department of their preferred major, to assure that they are taking needed and transferable courses while attending SUNY Broome.

SUNY Broome Community College to Excelsior Transfer Program

While completing a second Associate’s degree at SUNY Broome, students are able to satisfy the majority of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree from Excelsior College.  The Bachelor’s degree is awarded by Excelsior College upon completion of all degree requirements and payment of required matriculation and graduation fees.  Current SUNY Broome/Excelsior students who are seeking academic advisement or SUNY Broome students desiring information about the SUNY Broome/Excelsior transfer agreement should contact the Office of Continuing Education at 607 778-5364.

Engineering Science

The Engineering Science Department has joint admissions agreements with Binghamton University’s Watson School and with Buffalo University’s School of Engineering. The department maintains specific articulation agreements with Cornell University, Clarkson University, Wilkes University, and Tri-State University, and a general articulation agreement with the Association of Engineering Colleges of New York State, all of which assure transfer as a junior to these institutions. Contact the Engineering Science Department for additional information.

Engineering, Binghamton University

Transfer Agreement

All SUNY Broome Community College students who have graduated or will graduate with an AA or AS degree with a grade point average of at least 3.0 will be admitted, upon application, as matriculated students at Binghamton University as space permits. Those students graduating with the above degrees, but with a grade point average between 2.6 and 3.0, are usually admitted. Others, including those with an AAS degree, should contact the Binghamton University Office of Admissions. Admitted students will be granted junior-year standing upon presentation of 56 or more transferable credits.

Environmental Science and Forestry Pre-Environmental Science and Forestry

This program is designed for those students who ultimately desire a B.S. degree in Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), which is an upper division/graduate center.

After the first two years of study at SUNY Broome Community College, transfers to ESF may apply to a variety of programs at Syracuse which may include the biological sciences (botany and forest pathology, entomology, zoology, wildlife biology, silvics, pest management); chemistry (natural and synthetic polymers, biochemistry and natural products, environmental); forest engineering, paper science and engineering; wood products engineering; and forestry (resource management, forest resource science, management science, environmental forestry, applied resource management). The program in landscape architecture leads to a B.S. degree in environmental studies and, after one additional year, a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree.

Persons planning to transfer should follow the program requirements in consultation with BCC’s Pre-Environmental Science and Forestry campus advisor for selection of electives which may vary according to the curriculum at ESF.

Successful graduates of SUNY Broome Community College’s Pre-Environmental Science and Forestry Program generally gain admission to the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry with full junior class status.

One-Plus-One Programs

SUNY Broome Community College has One-Plus-One programs with other two-year colleges to enable a student to attend SUNY Broome for one year and then transfer to the other college for the second year for the Associate in Applied Science degree. This program permits students to begin studying at SUNY Broome for a degree in a field not offered at this college. By taking the SUNY Broome courses that one needs for the particular degree involved, residents of Broome County can enjoy the advantage of living at home during one year of their college attendance. Students taking these One-Plus-One Programs are Liberal Arts and Human Services students at SUNY Broome Community College because most of the courses they take at SUNY Broome are Liberal Arts and Human Services courses.

Check with the Liberal Arts and Human Services Office for more information about these programs.

Part-Time Studies


General Information

Anyone in the community may enroll as a part-time student; SUNY Broome attracts a large number each year. Many of them are “nontraditional” students, men and women who also work full-time. The College has a strong commitment to serving the part-time student.

Part-time students are those who take fewer than 12 credits per semester, usually one or two courses. At SUNY Broome, part-time students can:

  • enroll in credit courses, or non-credit mini courses.
  • take day, evening, or weekend courses.
  • attend classes in the fall, spring, summer, or winter semester.
  • earn a degree or not, as they see fit. Certificate programs are available.
  • receive academic advising and personal counseling.
  • borrow books from the College library.
  • receive Veterans’ benefits.
  • transfer applicable credits to SUNY Broome earned at another college.
  • participate in the College-on-the-Weekend Program.
  • part-time matriculated students carrying at least 6 credit hours are eligible for financial aid; matriculated students carrying fewer than 6 credit hours may also qualify for some Federal and State financial aid.  All students should complete their FAFSA as early as possible.

Matriculation of Part-Time Students

Although part-time students can take courses without being matriculated (admitted into a program of study), students planning to earn a degree or certificate should matriculate early in their studies. This will ensure more accurate and comprehensive advisement. Also, financial aid programs require formal admission to a degree program.

Placement Test

Part-time students are required to demonstrate basic skills competency for college level work. All matriculated students - those who are officially enrolled in a degree program - are required to take placement tests in reading, writing, and mathematics, or have the placement test(s) waived based on specific criteria. The scores from the tests are used together with high school records to place students in courses where they will have the best chance to succeed. Contact the Admissions Office (607 778-5001) or your advisor for testing information.