Dec 03, 2021  
2021-2022 Official General Catalog 
2021-2022 Official General Catalog

Academic Information

Click on any of the following links for information:

Degree and General Requirements

  1. Filing of a final high school transcript that stipulates graduation or proof of completion of home schooling , TASC - Test Assessing Secondary Completion or GED.
  2. Successful completion of all courses required for the degree.
  3. A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (overall and program).
  4. Meeting of specific degree requirements.
  5. Meeting of the College's General Education requirements.
  6. Satisfaction of all obligations to the College.
  7. Filing of an Intent to Graduate form in the final semester.
  8. Confirmation by the College that all degree requirements have been met.
  9. Earning twelve credits at the College.  Twelve credits is the College's residency requirement.  Transfer students, especially, should make note of the requirement.

Degrees and Certificates

The college offers Associate's degrees in a number of fields of study.  The Associate in Arts (AA) degree and the Associate in Science (AS) degree are intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution after graduation.  The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and the Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree are intended for students who seek employment immediately after graduation.

In addition to degree programs, SUNY Broome Community College offers several certificate programs.  Certificate programs carry approximately one year of college credits, can be completed in fewer than two years, and have more specific objectives than degree programs.  

SUNY Broome Community College General Education Curriculum

To earn an Associate of Arts (AA) or an Associate of Science (AS) degree from SUNY Broome Community College, all graduates must successfully complete 30 credits in at least 7 of the 10 General Education Areas.  The general education areas of Mathematics and Basic Communication are required.  The other five general education areas may be chosen by particular programs based on the academic needs or the transferability of the program, left for individual students to decide based on their academic interests or planned transfer path, or a combination of the two.

Infused competencies are required elements that are to be integrated throughout the general education program.  The Critical Thinking and Information Management competencies are not necessarily associated with any one course, though either or both of them could be imparted in specific "Critical Thinking" or "Information Management" courses.

To earn an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree from SUNY Broome Community College, all graduates must successfully complete 20 credits of liberal arts content within their program.  The general education areas of Mathematics and Basic Communication are strongly encouraged, but may not be required by specific programs.  The remaining Liberal Arts content may be chosen by particular programs based on the academic needs or the transferability of the program, left for individual students to decide based on their academic interests or planned transfer path, or a combination of the two, as long as those courses satisfy The Rules of the Board of Regents Section 3.47 (c).

Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degrees and Certificate Programs are vocational programs that are designed specifically for job placement upon completion.  Courses within AOS degrees and Certificate Programs are directed toward specific occupational and/or professional objectives.  AOS degrees and Certificate Programs have no general education or liberal arts requirements under SUNY and The State Education Department.

General Education Course Distribution Model

General Education Areas:

  1. Mathematics (required)*
  2. Natural Sciences
  3. Social Sciences
  4. American History
  5. Western Civilization
  6. Other World Civilization
  7. Humanities
  8. The Arts
  9. Foreign Language
  10. Basic Communication (required)*

Infused Competencies:

  1. Critical Thinking (required)*
  2. Information Management (required)*

Approved SUNY Broome General Education Course List

  1. Mathematics
    • BUS 115
    • CAS 109/MAT 109
    • MAT 115
    • MAT 117
    • MAT 118
    • MAT 119
    • MAT 120 *ANY ORDER
    • MAT 124
    • MAT 127
    • MAT 130
    • MAT 133
    • MAT 136
    • MAT 146
    • MAT 156
    • MAT 160
    • MAT 181
    • MAT 182
  2. Natural Sciences
    • ANT 112
    • ANT 113
    • ART/CHM129
    • AST 113
    • ATM 114
    • BHM/CHM 127
    • BIO 104/HST 104
    • BIO 111
    • BIO 112
    • BIO 117
    • BIO 118
    • BIO 122
    • BIO 131 
    • BIO 132
    • BIO 140
    • BIO 150
    • BIO 200
    • BIO/ENV 212 
    • BIO/CLT 216
    • BIO 217
    • CHM 120
    • CHM 121
    • CHM 123
    • CHM 124
    • CHM 125
    • CHM 126
    • CHM 133
    • CHM 141
    • CHM 142
    • CHM 145
    • CHM 146
    • CHM 245
    • CHM 246
    • CHM 247
    • CHM 265
    • CHM 290
    • CLT 208
    • CLT 209 L
    • CLT 210
    • CLT 216
    • EAS 123
    • EAS 210
    • GLG 111
    • GLG 115
    • GLG 125
    • OCE 226
    • PHS 112
    • PHS 116
    • PHS 117
    • PHY 118
    • PHY 161
    • PHY 162
    • PHY 181
    • PHY 182
    • PHY 281
  3. Social Sciences
    • ANT 111
    • ANT/SOC 200
    • BUS/POS 116
    • BUS 215
    • CRJ 245 WE
    • ECO 110
    • ECO 111
    • GEO 120
    • POS 111
    • POS 201 
    • POS 203
    • POS 204
    • POS 205
    • PSY 110
    • PSY 210
    • PSY 211
    • PSY 212
    • PSY 240
    • PSY 255
    • SOC 110
    • SOC 111
    • SOC 186
    • SOC 220
    • SOC 250
    • SOS 155
    • SOC/HOS 186
  4. American History
    • HIS 130
    • HIS 131
    • HIS 175
    • HIS 183
    • HIS 187
    • HIS 188
    • HIS 189
    • HIS 194
  5. Western Civilization
    • HIS 103
    • HIS 104
    • HIS 155
    • HUM 101
    • HUM 102
  6. Other World Civilizations
    • HIS 116
    • HIS 117
    • HIS 141
    • HIS 163
    • HIS 164
  7. Humanities
    • ENG 220
    • HUM 101 **Western Civ/Humanities
    • HUM 102 **Western Civ/Humanities
    • HUM 104
    • LIT 200
    • LIT 201
    • LIT 210
    • LIT 211
    • LIT 214
    • LIT 215
    • LIT 220
    • LIT 225
    • LIT 230
    • LIT 233
    • LIT 235
    • LIT 240
    • LIT 250
    • LIT 253
    • LIT 260
    • LIT 263
    • LIT 264
    • LIT 270
    • LIT 272
    • LIT 274
    • LIT 275
    • LIT 276
    • LIT 277
    • LIT 280
    • LIT 285
    • LIT 290
    • LIT 291
    • LIT 294
    • LIT 295
    • LIT 297
    • LIT 298
    • MUS 104
    • MUS 108
    • MUS 113
    • PHI 102
    • PHI 201
    • PHI 203
    • PHI 206
    • THR 221
  8. The Arts
    • ART 102
    • ART 103
    • ART 104
    • ART 105
    • ART 106
    • ART 108
    • ART 110
    • ART 111
    • ART/COM 112
    • ART 113
    • ART 115
    • ART 116
    • ART 118
    • ART 125/COM 124
    • ART 145
    • ART 146
    • ART 222
    • ART 226
    • ART 228
    • COM 145
    • COM 200
    • COM 205
    • ART/COM 222 
    • ART/COM 226 
    • ART/ECE 145
    • ENG 170
    • ENG 175
    • MUS 101
    • MUS 105
    • MUS 106
    • MUS 107
    • MUS 108
    • MUS 109
    • MUS 111
    • MUS 112
    • THR 101
    • THR 102
    • THR 111
    • THR 112
    • THR 114
    • THR 151
    • THR 152
  9. Foreign Language
    • ARA 101
    • ARA 102
    • ASL 120
    • ASL 220
    • FRE 101
    • FRE 102
    • FRE 201
    • FRE 202
    • GER 101
    • GER 102
    • ITA 101
    • ITA 102
    • SPA 101
    • SPA 102
    • SPA 201
    • SPA 202
  10. Basic Communication
    • ENG 107
    • ENG 108
    • ENG 110
    • ENG 111
    • SPK 110

Waiver of Degree Requirements

Students seeking waivers of degree requirements should consult their Program Chairs or, where no Program Chair exists, the appropriate Dean.  It should be noted that only on rare occasions, degree requirements are waived.

Dual Degree Award

Students seeking two degrees from the College should consult their Program Chairs or the appropriate Dean to determine their eligibility under State University of New York guidelines.

Declaration of Graduation Candidacy


Students intending to complete all degree requirements within a given semester are required to declare their intention to do so by filing an "Intent to Graduate" form ( with the Office of the Registrar.

Intent to Graduate form should be filed by:
Spring Semester - March 15
Summer Semester - March 15
Fall Semester - October 15

Students filing after these dates will be considered as graduates for the semester but may not receive their diplomas in a timely fashion or have their names indicated in the Commencement Booklet. No application for candidacy will be accepted after the last day of classes of the term being applied for. Students applying after that date will be considered graduates of the following semester, or of the semester/year in which they file a candidacy form.



SUNY Broome Community College will conduct one formal graduation ceremony each year in the spring. All candidates for degrees may participate in the ceremony. A candidate is a student who will complete his/her degree requirements at the conclusion of the fall, spring, or summer semester. Candidates must have filed their "Intent to Graduate" form. Students who complete their degree requirements at the end of the fall semester will be invited to attend the next graduation ceremony which occurs the following Spring.

Candidates for graduation must have on file in the Registrar's Office a copy of final high school transcript or proof of completion of homeschooling, TASC, or a GED diploma to receive a SUNY Broome degree or certificate.  Candidates must also meet all other graduation requirements listed under Degree and General Requirements listed above.

Graduation with Honors


Students who graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.80 or better will receive the distinction of graduating with "High Honors" and those who graduate with a cumulative grade point average between 3.50 and 3.79 inclusive will graduate with "Honors."   

Standards for Academic Progress


Minimum Grade Point Average

In order to be in good academic standing and to be making academic progress toward a degree or certificate, a student must meet a minimum cumulative grade point average and successfully accumulate credits according to the following standards:

1) Grade Point Average

Credits Attempted   Minimum Cumulative GPA
12-20   1.50
Over 20-40   1.75
Over 40   2.00

2) Successful Accumulation of Credits
Students must successfully pass ("S", "P", and "D" grade or better) a total number of credits according to the following standard:

Credits Attempted   Credits Earned
20   12
40   26
60   40
80   54
100   68
120   82
140   96
160   110
180   124
200   138
220   152
240   166
260   180
280   194
300   208

"Credits attempted" include all credit hours for which the student was registered on or after the census date of a semester, regardless of later dropping or withdrawal from a course. "Credits earned" excludes those credit hours associated with grades of "F", "W","WA", "U", or "I" (Incomplete).

By the time a student has attempted 20 credits, he/she must have successfully earned 12 credits. Likewise, 40 credits trigger the 26 credit minimum required. Any course in which a student is enrolled on or past the census date is considered an attempted hour. Developmental courses do not give earned credit toward a degree at the college, but they are equivalent to the appropriate number of earned credits for academic standing.  They are also factored into the grade point average used for calculaing academic standing.

Transfer hours count towards credits attempted and earned.

Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning

Students' records will be reviewed at the end of each semester by the Registrar. Students who have not met the minimum cumulative standards will be placed on Academic Probation. Additionally, these students, whether they have received financial aid or not, will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. Students placed on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning will be invited to meet with an Academic Coach to discuss appropriate academic strategies. Prior to the start of the probationary semester students are responsible for meeting with their Academic Advisor to review course selection and credit load to discuss appropriate registration. During this probationary time, the student is expected to meet regularly with his/her Advisor, Department Chairperson, and/or Academic Coach to discuss progress of meeting cumulative standards. General standards for students on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning require the student to regain good academic standing by the end of their probationary semester (see section on Grade Point Average and Successful Accumulation of Credits above). Other probationary standards may be required, such as limitation on total credit hours taken in the probationary semester, or specified, or regular meetings.

Academic Dismissal

If a student does not meet the standards for Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning at the end of the probationary semester, the student will be dismissed from the College and lose financial aid eligibility. Notification of dismissal will be sent by the College Registrar.

Attendance after Dismissal

Upon Academic Dismissal, a hold will be placed on the student's record. To continue in attendance, and resolve this hold, a dismissed student must submit an Appeal for Academic and Financial Aid Continuance. Petitions can be obtained online at Based on a review of the student's academic record and appeal submission, the college will determine the student's status as follows:


Students who fail to meet academic standards after being placed on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning will be dismissed. The programs for these students may be changed to non-matriculated status and students either leave the College or continue on their own without financial aid.

Appeal of Dismissal

Students who are dismissed may appeal their dismissal from the College. An appeal will be considered successful if the student can demonstrate that an extenuating circumstance prevented them from meeting the Standards for Academic Progress and/or if the student can demonstrate an appropriate and detailed academic success plan for the future. If the appeal is approved, the student will be permitted to continue in the degree program and receive financial aid. If the student continues without an academic continuance plan the student must return to good standing by the end of the semester or be dismissed from the College.  A student who continues after an appeal and enters into an academic continuance plan will continue to receive financial aid as long as the academic continuance plan is followed.

At any time after a student is granted an appeal, the student fails to meet the requirement of the academic continuance plan, the student will be dismissed and may have a permanent loss of financial aid.

Academic Plans

Academic Plans are entered into between the student and the academic department and may require the restriction on the number of credit hours for which a student may register during a semester.  For example, a student on Academic Probation and Financial Aid Warning may be restricted to 12 - 13 credits or even part-time status.  Students academically dismissed and placed on Continued Academic Probation and Financial Aid Probation may be restricted to one or two courses.  Academic Plans may also require students to take specific courses, repeat courses, or prohibit the student from taking specific courses.

Readmission after Absence

Students academically dismissed who have lost their financial aid and who have been absent from the College for a semester or more must reapply for admission and petition the dean for continuance of study.  Readmission to the College does not reinstate financial aid.

Academic Grievance Procedure

Information about the academic grievance procedure is available in the Student Handbook and through the Academic Affairs Division.

Academic Standards for Clinical Education 

Academic standards for clinical education in the Health Sciences Division allow for immediate dismissal of students from their program of study upon failure to meet established academic objectives, required competencies or, in situations that could impact patient physical or psychological safety, or confidentiality of patient information.

Dismissal/Readmittance for Health Science Degree Programs

Students enrolled in Health Science degree programs must meet all academic and clinical progression policies and requirements in order to remain in good standing and progress in that program.

All Health Science students are subject to the campus Policies and Standards for Academic Progress, as well as those included in the Program Policy and Procedures Manuals, specific to each program.  Program policies and procedures may hold the student to a higher standard than outlined in the campus Policies and Standards for Academic Progress.

Students dismissed from one of the Health Science Division programs for academic reasons may apply for readmission and will be considered for re-entry under the competitive admissions process for the program and in concert with all that program's s applicable program policies and procedures.

Students permanently dismissed from one Health Sciences program for other than academic reasons may be ineligible for re-admittance to that program and also may be ineligible for admission to other Health Sciences programs.  If a student is dismissed from a program for other than academic reasons (e.g., serious behavioral/conduct violation that seriously violated program policies/procedures), the student must meet with the chair of the program to which they wish to apply in order to determine program eligibility in light of the conduct/behavioral violation.

Students dismissed from these programs under program policies lose the curriculum designator and will no longer be advised by the departmental faculty or chairperson. They are advised to see an academic advisor, if they wish to continue taking courses within another curriculum.

Students who have successfully completed one or more major courses in a health science program and interrupt their course of study due to extenuating circumstances (e.g., medical withdrawal) or other significant event and who interrupt their course of study with the knowledge and approval of the program chair may be readmitted directly into program courses with permission of the department chair if program policies and procedures permit.

Each Health Science program may have additional readmission policies and procedures.  Students should check with the appropriate program chair to review these in light of the student's situation.

Grading Information

This grading policy was adopted by the College commencing with the Fall 1992 semester.

Grades   Quality Points per Credit Hours   Explanation
A   4.0   Superior Achievement
A-   3.7    
B+   3.3    
B   3.0   Commendable Achievement
B-   2.7    
C+   2.3    
C   2.0   Satisfactory Achievement
C-   1.7    
D   1.0   Minimal Achievement
F   0.0   Unsatisfactory or withdrawal after 10th week for a full-term course
P   -   Pass
S   -   Satisfactory
U   -   Unsatisfactory or withdrawal after 10th week
W   -   Withdrawn from a course between the 4th and 10th week for a full-term course (See "W" Grade below)
WA   -   Withdrawn Administratively due to lack of attendance
I   -   Incomplete due to special circumstances (See "I" grade conditions)
AU   -   Audit. Classes may be changed to the "audit" grade mode
after the semester starts, provided that an add/drop form
is completed prior to the census date. This form must be
signed by the student, the department chairperson, and the
instructor. Financial aid is not awarded to classes that are
audited Funds issued to the student in the form of a book
voucher and/or financial aid funds spent at the SUNY Broome
Bookstore would also be paid back to the college by the
student. Please note: Accreditor requirements need to be
taken into account when considering whether a student may
audit a course.

Grade Point Average

Each grade carries a specified number of quality points (4.0 for an A, 3.7 for an A-, 3.3 for a B+) as described in the section on Grading Information. To determine a student's Grade Point Average (GPA, multiply the number of quality points earned, according to the letter grade, by the number of credits for the course. Add these together and divide the sum by the total number of credits.

A Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated for each semester the student attends, and a cumulative summary is also shown on the student's academic transcript.

For purposes of graduation eligibility, only those courses required for the degree will be used to determine if the criteria have been met for a 2.0 in courses applicable to the degree. This calculation will reflect the Program grade point average in the student's field of study and will be fixed as of graduation. Any courses taken after that will not change the graduation GPA and will not be entered into the previous GPA in any way. The cumulative GPA, however, will reflect all courses taken by the student unless a course has been repeated, and a different grade was received.

"S" and "U" Grades

The S and U grade will apply only to specific courses determined by the appropriate departments and approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The S grade will count as earned hours. The U grade will not count as earned hours. Such courses will not affect the Grade Point Average (GPA).

"P" / "F" Grade Option

Students enrolled in standard grade mode classes may elect the Pass / Fail grade option in the event of extenuating circumstances. The P grade will count as earned hours and will not affect the Grade Point Average (GPA). The F grade will not count as earned hours and will have a negative impact on the GPA.

"W" Grade

It is the student's responsibility to initiate action to receive a grade of "W" within the 4th and 10th weeks inclusive, for a full-term course. Students cannot receive a "W" grade after the 10th week for a full-term course.

"W" or "F" grade periods for courses which meet more or less than a full semester will be determined by the Registrar's office.

"WA" Grade

Students' who have poor attendance in classes after the census date will be withdrawn administratively from them.  The "WA" grade will be assigned to these classes.

"I" Incomplete Grade

An "I" or incomplete grade signifies that coursework cannot be completed during the term due to extenuating circumstances.

The "I" or incomplete grade shall be assigned by instructors only in cases where they have agreed to grant students extensions to complete coursework and a contract has been arranged between the student and instructor.

To petition for an "I" grade, the student must contact the instructor prior to the last class to arrange for the completion of the unfinished work. The instructor will file with the Office of the Registrar an "Incomplete Contract" form, outlining the provisions to complete the "I" grade, including an agreed upon time limit that shall not exceed the last day of the next major semester. The instructor may grant an extension for an additional semester by completing another "I" Contract.

After the student has completed the work, the instructor will submit a "Notification of Grade Change" form to the Registrar for removal of the "I" grade. If the student does not meet the time limit, the instructor shall direct the Registrar to record the appropriate grade.

When the Registrar is not notified by the instructor of a grade change, the Registrar will convert the "I" grades to "F" or "U" at the end of the next semester.

An instructor submitting a grade change for an "I" grade which has been converted to an "F" must follow the normal grade change provisions.

An "I" grade will be treated as an "F" grade in the calculation of academic progress. If a student is academically dismissed during the semester in which an "I" grade was granted, subsequent passing of the course may not rescind the academic dismissal.


The term "Audit" designates a status, not a grade. The letters AU will appear next to the course name on the transcript.  Courses that are audited cannot be used to meet program requirements for graduation certification.
Note: some courses are excluded from the audinting option. Please review this list for excluded courses:

Senior Audits

Any citizen of New York State who is 60 years of age or more may "audit" courses at Broome Community College without charge, as long as there is space available.  In this context, the word "audit" means these students take the course by attending classes and being exposed to all the work given in class and assigned in the text.  They do not have to do the homework or take the examinations, however, and they receive no letter grade or college credit. Please see the above list of excluded courses.

Repeating and Substitution of Courses

Students are strongly urged to determine the financial aid implications before electing to repeat a course in which a student has received a passing grade.

If a course is repeated, the higher grade will be included in the cumulative grade point average. All grades will appear on the student's transcript.

In special circumstances, the department chair may allow the substitution of an equivalent or similar course for a required course.  

A course in which a grade of "W" is received is only considered as attempted credit hours. All repeated courses add to the cumulative attempted credit hours for academic standing calculations.

Students repeating a course they have already passed (a "D" grade or better) may not be able to use that course as part of their calculation for full-time status for certification under the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and should be advised to check with the Financial Aid Office before registering for the repeated course.

While students are allowed to repeat coursework, all attempts at the repeated course count toward the credit hours attempted for financial aid purposes. Once a student has successfully passed a course with a grade of "D" or better, the student is only allowed to repeat the course one time with federal financial aid for a better grade. Courses in which a grade of "A", are not repeatable because a better grade cannot be earned. (Certain exceptions apply to this rule, such as designated cross-listed courses, choir, physical education, and so forth.)

Academic Grade Grievances

SUNY Broome Community College has established a procedure to provide students an opportunity to grieve grades in any particular course(s) or academic dismissal. Copies of the Student Academic Grievance procedure are available in the offices of the Divisional Deans. The policy also appears in the Student Handbook.

President's/Dean's List

Full-time students, both matriculated and non-matriculated, who have a semester grade point average 3.80 or better will be named to the President's List. Such students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours and have no "I" grade for that semester. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean's List or the President's List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses.

Full-time matriculated students who have a semester grade point average between 3.50 and 3.79 inclusive will be named to the Dean's List. Such students must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours and have no "I" grade for that semester. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean's List or the President's List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses. Non-matriculated students do not qualify for the Dean's List.

Part-time matriculated students can earn a place on the President's or Dean's List by having the appropriate cumulative grade point average for their most recent semesters that include at least 12 credit hours and have no "I" grades for those semesters. Courses which use the S or U or credit equivalent grade will not disqualify a student from consideration for the Dean's List or the President's List, as long as the student meets the grade point average criteria in their other courses. Part-time matriculated students should contact the Registrar's Office if they have the appropriate grades.

Campus Grading Procedures and Information



Registration and Student Status


Instructional Methods

Students enrolled in online asynchronous, and online synchronous sections, will not be here on campus for these particular classes.  Students enrolled in blended classes will be here on campus for those class meetings that are held face to face, as well as working online.

Online asynchronous classes are not held on campus.  Students' schedules will not reflect specific days and times of instruction.  The student's schedule will have a link to access for the online instruction.

Blended classes are held online and on campus.  Students' schedules will display days and times of instruction, as well as the building and room for those classes that are held on campus.  Students' schedules will also have a link to access for the online instruction.

Online synchronous classes are not held on campus for the students.  Some instructors will be conducting these classes off campus while other instructors will be teaching here on campus.  In both instances the student's schedule will display the days and times of instruction.  Students need to log into their class on those specific days and times in which the class is scheduled.  The student's schedule will not display the building and room nor will the class look up schedule display the building and room.  The student's schedule will have a link to access for the online instruction.  Instructors who will be teaching in this format, here at SUNY Broome, will be notified of their classroom location once all room assignments are completed.

The following is the coding that we are using for our course sections.

1.) Online Asynchronous:
For example, ENG 110Y01.
The section identifier includes "Y".
Meeting Times and Days are blank.
Building and Room = OFDL OFDL (Off Campus Distance Learning)
Instructional Method = DLA (Distance Learning Asynchronous) (or DLAP for sections with online proctoring via Examity)
Campus - DLO - Distance Learning Online

2.) Blended:
For example, ENG 110B01.
The section identifier includes "B".
Meeting Times and Days are for those designated for those meetings and days in which the class will be held on campus.
Building and Room = The Building code and Room number assigned to on campus meetings.
Instructional Method = DLB (Distance Learning Blended) (or DLBP for sections with online proctoring via Examity)
Campus = M - Main

3.) Online Remote Synchronous:
For example, ENG 110R01.
The section identifier includes "R".
Meeting Times and Days are designated as the meeting times and days in which the student needs to log into the class.
Building and Room = OFDL OFDL (Off Campus Distance Learning) Faculty teaching in this mode on campus will be notified of the Building and Room.
Instructional Method = DLS (Distance Learning Synchronous) (or DLSP for sections with online proctoring via Examity)
Campus = DLO - Distance Learning Online

4.) Traditional:
For example, ENG 110 01.
The section identifier does not include "Y" nor "B" nor "R".
Meeting Times and Days exist for this face to face format.
Building and Room will exist for these classes.
Instructional Method = TR (Traditional)
Campus = Main

Late Registration

The late registration period begins the week before classes start. Late registration for credit courses may be permitted during the first week of classes with permission of the department chair, depending on course availability and academic ramifications. However, no students will be admitted to any course after the 1st week of that class without permission of the Dean.  Exceptions to this rule may be made by a Division Dean.

A late fee will be charged for new registrations initiated after the semester begins.

Dropping a Course

Withdrawal from or dropping courses after classes begin does not remove financial obligations.  In addition, students who received financial aid, including loans, may be required to pay back some or all of their funding.

For a student to drop a course after the start of the semester, an official "Add/Drop or Schedule Adjustment" form needs to be signed by the Department Chairperson or an authorized College Advisor, and filed with the Registrar. Exceptions to this rule are schedule changes necessitated by adding or dropping sections. In these instances, the process may be initiated by the Department.

Non-attendance in classes in NOT notice of official withdrawal.

Full semester courses may be officially dropped by students without receiving a "W" only within the first three weeks of class. Courses dropped within the fourth through tenth weeks result in a "W" for the dropped course. "W" or "F" grade periods for courses which meet more or less than full semester will be determined by the Registrar's Office.

The college reserves the right to administratively withdraw any student from any course for non-attendance or poor attendance.

Adding a Course

Once a class begins, students may only add courses or change sections with the approval of the Department Chair or designee from the department offering the course.

After the first week of classes, the addition of courses or changing of sections requires the approval of the divisional dean or his/her designee. The primary exceptions are courses where, upon advisement, a student may move to a lower level course.

In all cases, students must file the "Add/Drop or Schedule Adjustment" forms in order to become officially registered in additional courses.

Financial aid may not be available for courses added after the third week of the semester; contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

Students who attend classes in which their names do not appear on the class list should contact the Registrar's Office.

Withdrawal from the College

SUNY Broome Community College has committed to a philosophy of providing whatever assistance is necessary to aid the student in completing his/her academic goals. Students are strongly encouraged to seek academic and personal counseling prior to any withdrawal.

Any student deciding to withdraw from the College must obtain a signed Drop Form from their department and complete a Withdrawal Form. The Withdrawal Form is available in the Academic Advising Office in the Student Services Building. Failure to comply may cause the individual to lose any possible refund of tuition and may negatively impact current and future financial aid resources. In addition, the student may receive an "F" grade for all courses.

Medical Withdrawal

  1. Students who have documented and verified medical or psychological reasons directly preventing the student from completing classes may be considered by the Divisional Dean for a medical withdrawal.
  2. Medical withdrawals typically apply only to the student with the documented medical issue. A student who must directly care for a family member must follow the standard withdrawal procedure, except in exceptional circumstances as approved by the Dean.
  3. Students should follow standard withdrawal procedures by completing an Add/Drop form when possible.  Students may then initiate the application for a Medical Withdrawal as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days after the end of the semester in which the medical issue occurred.
  4. Matriculated students may apply for a Medical Withdrawal through their Divisional Dean or designee.  Non-Matriculated students requesting a medical withdrawal should be referred to the Registrar's Office.   In both cases, the student will need to complete a drop form and an application for medical withdrawal.
  5. Students should be aware that withdrawals may negatively impact the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirement for financial aid.
  6. Medical withdrawal has no effect on the student's refund eligibility or financial obligations to the College. (See SUNY Broome Refund regulations)
  7. A medical withdrawal requires that the student submit original documentation signed by a licensed medical or clinical professional on official letterhead or physician's prescription with contact information that states the student was unable to complete the semester. The documentation is kept in a confidential file. (See documentation checklist.)
  8. Students who withdraw for medical reasons must satisfy any outstanding financial or other obligations with the College.
  9. Students who withdraw from all classes must reapply for admission through the Admissions Office to return to the college as a matriculated student.
  10. Medical Withdrawal forms are available in the Office of the Registrar and/or Divisional Dean.
  11. If the medical withdrawal is approved, a letter grade of "W" will be recorded for all medically withdrawn courses taken during said semester.  The status of "Medical Withdrawal" or "Partial Medical Withdrawal" will be listed for that semester.
  12. Students who plan to return after a medical withdrawal may be required by the Divisional Dean to submit documentation that they are cleared to return to school, including classes, clinicals, labs, and/or internships.  In programs where physicals are required, students may also be required by the Divisional Dean to obtain an updated physical before returning to the College.

Documentation Checklist for Medical Letters for Withdrawal Requests

Letters in support of medical withdrawal should include the following seven points:

  1. Student name
  2. What prevented course completion? (e.g. surgery, severe injury, medical depression, specified illness).
  3. Date of first visit/treatment during the semester of requested withdrawal
  4. Period of treatment during the semester the withdrawal is requested
  5. If not a complete withdrawal of all courses, identify how circumstances prevented completion of specific identified course(s).
  6. Recommendation for withdrawal for medical reasons.
  7. Original document with signature and license number of healthcare professional on official letterhead or physician's prescription with contact information, mailed or delivered, to the Divisional Dean's office.

Fresh Start

Any student who has been absent from SUNY Broome for 2 years (24 months) and was not in good academic standing may receive a Fresh Start.  The student is responsible for initiating the Fresh Start procedure. The following conditions apply to the awarding of Fresh Start:

  1. The Fresh Start will go into effect after the eligible student has passed all registered coursework (minimum of six or more credit hours required) in the semester they return with a "C" grade or higher for the courses attempted. The following notation will appear on the transcript at the end of the semester in which the Fresh Start goes into effect: "Student Granted Fresh Start".
  2. The Fresh Start Grade Point Average (GPA) will include all grades earned at the end of the first semester back at SUNY Broome. No grade (A through F) awarded prior to re-admittance will be included in the new cumulative GPA.
  3. All prior grades and coursework will remain on the record. However, only prior credits from courses in which the student received a grade of "C" or better can be applied toward the degree. Credits from courses in with a "C-" or "D" cannot be applied toward the degree.
  4. The Fresh Start option, once granted, cannot be rescinded; can only be used once; and cannot be applied to a previously granted degree.
  5. The granting of a Fresh Start applies only toward progress to the degree, and does not restore financial aid eligibility or change academic standing.  All credits attempted and earned before and after the award of a Fresh Start apply to financial aid and academic standing, including Competitive Health Science Rank; therefore, a student may have one GPA that applies toward the degree major and graduation, and another GPA that applies to financial aid eligibility, competitive health science rank, academic standing.

To initiate a Fresh Start, students may obtain a-request from the Registrar's office, their Dean's office, or the Academic Advising Office in the Student Services Building.

Change of Program

Any student wishing to change curriculum must request a "Change of Program" form from the Registrar's Office. It must have the approval of the new Department Chair/Designee and the signature of the current Department Chair/Designee.  Program changes after the first week of classes will not be effective until the following semester. 

The Change of Program Policy is administered under the following criteria:

  1. All previous courses and grades will remain on the permanent record.
  2. The academic standing of the student at the time of the Change of Program will be maintained. For example, a student on academic probation and financial aid warning at the time he or she applied for the change, will remain on academic probation and financial aid warning. Students who have been dismissed must file an appeal with the dean of the division which sponsors the new curriculum.
  3. The student will be bound by the graduation requirements of the current catalog at the time of the program change.
  4. Graduation GPA is calculated on the requirements of the new program degree requirements and not necessarily the overall GPA.

Semester Credit Overload

During the Fall and Spring semesters, no student may enroll (register) for more than 20.5 credits without approval from their divisional dean.

During the Summer semester, no matriculated student may register for more than 12.0 credits for all summer terms without permission from their divisional dean. During the Winter semester, no matriculated student may register for more than 8.0 credits without permission from their divisional dean.

Length of Program

Most associate degree programs are designed to be completed in two year. The college year is divided into two major semesters of 15 weeks each.  Some students may choose or be required to take more than four semesters to earn their degrees. For example, selected health science programs have required clinical or laboratory experiences in the summer or winter term.

Procedure for Student Name Change or Social Security Number Change

If a student wishes to change his or her name at SUNY Broome Community College, the following policy and procedure must be used by the requestor:

Name change form must be filled out and turned into the Registrar's Office with picture ID.  Name change will be done with the proper documentation. Proper documentation may include any one of the following items:

  1. A copy of name change on Social Security card or approved SS form.
  2. A State Driver's License (picture) showing the name change.
  3. Legal document changing the name.
  4. Marriage license, wedding announcement from newspaper, or divorce decree.
  5. Other documentation, at the discretion of the Registrar.

A copy of the above documentation should be made by the Registrar's office and placed in the student's folder.  Name change/social security change goes to Information Technology Services for processing.  Once the name change/social security change has been processed the Information Technology Services Department will notify the Student Activities Office.  At that time Student Activities will send currently enrolled students an updated Student ID card.   

Developmental Courses

Some courses at SUNY Broome Community College are developmental.  This means that they do not give a student credit toward a degree at the College, but they are equivalent to the appropriate number of hours for calculating academic loading and tuition.  This credit load is used to determine a student's status as full-time or part-time, for financial aid, for billing, and for academic standing.  (see Developmental Courses for more information).


Classroom Practices


Attendance Regulations

General Attendance Policy

Students who regularly attend classes have a better success record than students who do not regularly attend classes.  With the intent of encouraging student success, SUNY Broome strongly urges students to regularly attend their classes.  In fact, the College's policy is that attendance in all scheduled course activities is expected as part of each student's responsibility for his/her own education.  Absence from class is considered a serious matter and does not excuse a student from classwork.  A student must complete all assignments, examinations, and other requirements of any course, to receive credit.

Absence from class may also affect a student's academic standing and eligibility for financial aid. (See Reporting of Official Course Attendance below)

The College understands that students are sometimes absent from classes due to uncontrollable circumstances.  In these cases, the students need to meet with their instructors to discuss missed work.

Reporting of Official Course Attendance

The College is required to administratively deregister a student for a course(s) based on official course attendance as reported by the instructor of the course.  Students who have never attended a course before the census date, or had poor attendance after the census date, will be deregistered from the course by the Registrar's Office and notified of this action.  This may result in a loss of financial aid.  

Reporting of Official Course Attendance (including for the purpose of financial aid funding) is determined by a student's academic participation in the course.  Official course attendance is defined by any of the following activities:

  • Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
  • Submitting an academic assignment;
  • Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
  • Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution;
  • Participating in an online discussion about academic matters;
  • Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course

Official course attendance does not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:

  • Logging into an online class without active participation;
  • Participating in academic counseling or advisement;
  • Living in institutional housing;
  • Participating in the institution's meal plan

Students who are administratively dropped for non-attendance during the semester continue to have a tuition and fee obligation.

Absence due to Religious Beliefs

Section 224-a of the State Education Law reads:

  1. No person shall be expelled from, or be refused admission as a student to, an institution of higher education for the reason that he/she is unable, because of his/her religious beliefs, to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study or work requirements on a particular day or days.
  2. Any student in an institution of higher education who is unable, because of his/her religious beliefs, to attend classes on a particular day or days, may be excused from any examination or any study or work requirements.
  3. It shall be the responsibility of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to make available to each student who is absent from school, because of his/her religious beliefs, an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study or work requirements which he/she may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such equivalent opportunity.
  4. If registration, classes, examinations, study or work requirements are held on Friday after four o'clock post meridian or on Saturday, similar or makeup classes, examinations, study or work requirements shall be made available on other days, where it is possible and practicable to do so.  No special fees shall be charged to the student for these classes, examinations, study or work requirements held on other days.
  5. In effectuating the provisions of the section, it shall be the duty of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to exercise the fullest measure of good faith. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student because of his/her availing himself/herself of the provisions of this section.
  6. Any student, who is aggrieved by the alleged failure of any faculty or administrative officials to comply in good faith with the provisions of this section, shall be entitled to maintain an action or proceeding in the supreme court of the county in which such institution of higher education is located for the enforcement of his rights under this section.
    1. A copy of this section shall be published by each institution of higher education in the catalog of such institution containing the listing of available courses.
  7. As used in this section, the term "institution of higher education" shall mean schools under the control of the Board of Trustees of the State University of New York or of the Board of Higher Education of the City of New York or any community college.

Academic Honesty


It is the policy of SUNY Broome Community College to educate students about academic honesty standards, encourage adherence to the standards, and enforce the practice of acting with the highest standards of honesty and personal integrity in all aspects of their academic careers.

Student Responsibilities

Students share the responsibility for maintaining academic honesty.  Students are expected to:

a. Refrain from acts of academic dishonesty

b. Refuse to aid or abet any form of academic dishonesty

c. Notify instructors and/or appropriate administrators about observed incidents of academic dishonesty

d. Encourage other students to adhere to the standards of academic honesty

Faculty Responsibilities

Faculty members have the responsibility to support academic honesty in their classrooms.  Faculty members are expected to:

a. Explain the meaning of academic honesty to their students and refer them to the campus policy

b. Conduct their classes in a way that makes academic dishonesty difficult

c. Address students suspected of academic dishonesty and take appropriate disciplinary action in a timely manner


  1. An instructor has the prerogative of failing a student who has violated the Academic Honesty Policy on an exam, paper, project, report, or other assignment for that exercise only.
  2. An instructor has the prerogative of failing a student in the course when the student has violated the Academic Honesty Policy a second time; A grade of "F" assigned to a student for academic dishonesty is final and shall be placed on the transcript.  If the student withdraws from the course, a "W" will not replace an "F" assigned for academic dishonesty.  Academic disciplinary actions taken by the instructor based on alleged cheating may be appealed as specified in the College's Academic Appeals Procedure.

General Classroom Standards

Students are responsible for completing all course requirements as specified in the course outline. They are also obliged to be on time to class and to treat their instructors and fellow students respectfully.

Individuals who are disruptive and whose behavior adversely affects the learning of fellow students may be removed from class.

Students should be prepared for the requirement to use a computer in any course they register for at SUNY Broome regardless of whether it is a fully online, blended or face-to-face section.  Questions regarding the types of activities required in a specific course or section should be directed to the department offering the course.

Supplemental and Alternative Learning Opportunities


Developmental Courses

The college offers developmental courses for those desiring skill improvement or review.  Developmental courses have course numbers that begin with "0", for example MAT 082 or ENG 090, and prepare students for credit level work in the basic skills areas of mathematics, listening, literacy, speaking, writing and reading.  These non-credit courses are equivalent in time to credit bearing classes and are applicable toward academic standing and athletic and financial aid eligibility.  Developmental courses are graded on a letter basis (A, A-, B+, etc.) and are not calculated in the student's grade point average.  Developmental course credits do not apply to degree or certificate programs.

Refer to the course catalog for a complete listing of developmental courses.

Learning Skills Courses

The college offers a number of courses to help students improve skills that contribute to their academic success or to identify potential career interests.  These courses are designated as LRS, LTR, of SAC courses.  See the college catalog for more information.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College will recognize successful achievement at or above the 50th percentile on CLEP subject exams in accordance with SUNY and American Council of Education guidelines. Approval of credit for degree requirements or electives is determined by the appropriate department. Credit approval will be handled as transfer credit. Under certain circumstances, a department may accept general examination scores.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), Credit by Examination (CBE), Portfolio Review (Campus Procedure 3.12)

SUNY Broome Community College provides its matriculated students with the potential opportunity to gain credit for Prior Learning. Prior Learning is a means of assessing knowledge acquired outside the traditional college and classroom environment. It includes: Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), Credit by Examination (CBE), and Portfolio Review (PORT). 

Prior Learning Assessment credit (PLA, CBE, and PORT) is issued at the prerogative of the Department Chair where the academic program is located. If the student changes majors/academic programs, Prior Learning Assessment credit will be reviewed/reassessed. If the course discipline is located in a program where the student is not enrolled, the Prior Learning Assessment credit will need to be reviewed and approved by the appropriate Department Chair for that discipline. 

While the Health Studies Division unanimously endorses the concept of prior learning, many of the accredited programs in the division due to patient safety concerns and accreditation requirements cannot utilize the (PLA) for awarding course credit. Specifics about PLA, CBE, and PORT in the Health Studies Division are listed within the campus procedure.  

Please review SUNY Broome's Community College's campus procedure (3.12): Prior Learning Assessment, Credit by Examination (CBE) and Portfolio Review (PORT) (pdf)

Service Learning

Service Learning is an experiential form of education that combines academic study, community service, and student reflection. Students select service projects that connect to their coursework, are of personal significance to them, and record their experiences through reflection. Several courses offer students the option of a service-learning experience component. The service learning activity supplements classroom activity and includes an academic component.

Students will be required to devote a specific number of hours to the community agency. The time commitment varies by course and instructor, but typically includes a minimum of 20 hours over the course of the semester.

Independent Study

The College offers two types of Independent Study.

  • A Guided Study provides a student the opportunity to take an established College course independently but under the guidance of a faculty member. Students must seek faculty sponsorship for a Guided Study. A formal contract between the student and the faculty member stipulates the student learning outcomes of the Guided Study, the activities that will help the student to meet those outcomes, and the methods and measures to be employed to assess the student's performance. Authorization proceeds through the faculty member, the Department Chair, and the Dean. A Guided Study is not intended to supplant an established course. The Guided Study course will appear on the student's transcript under the rubric and title of the established course.
  • An Advanced Study provides a very able and highly motivated student the opportunity to explore a topic of study in greater breadth and depth than would be possible in an established College course. Students must seek faculty sponsorship for an Advanced Study. A formal contract between the student and the faculty member stipulates the student learning outcomes of the Advanced Study, the activities that will help the student to meet those outcomes, and the methods and measures to be employed to assess the student's performance. Authorization proceeds through the faculty member, the Department Chair, and the Dean. The Advanced Study will appear on the student's transcript under the appropriate disciplinary rubric followed by 299 and the title of the Advanced Study.

Honors Program

The SUNY Broome Community College Honors Program offers a wide range of classes across academic disciplines, including classes that challenge students to think more deeply and insightfully. Honors courses provide students with opportunities to explore interdisciplinary pursuits and participate in research projects that allow them to research a question or problem and gather, analyze, and synthesize evidence.

Students with an overall GPA of 90/3.2 or higher are encouraged to apply by completing a brief online application:

Once admitted to the Honors Program, students must complete the following to graduate with the Honors Program Scholar distinction:

  • Complete two (2) one-credit Honors-designated seminar courses:

                     Honors Seminar (HON 170)

                     Honors Capstone Seminar (HON 270)
  • Complete three (3) Honors-designated general education courses.
  • Maintain a 3.2 cumulative GPA.

Weekend, Evening, and Offsite Offerings

SUNY Broome Community College offers several options for students to complete programs during evenings, weekends, or fully online.

The Evening Weekend nursing program is a nursing degree option that meets two evenings a week and every other weekend during the Spring and Fall semesters.

This degree option can be completed in a minimum of six semesters.  Liberal arts and science courses necessary for a SUNY Broome nursing degree will need to be taken prior to starting the program if a student wishes to be part-time.  If taken concurrently with nursing, students may need to be full-time in certain semesters of the program.  The evening weekend nursing program is a competitive admission Health Science program.  Part-time evening/weekend students are subject to the same requirements and policies as students in the full-time day program.

SUNY Broome Community College offers courses at several offsite locations.  Please refer to the website and course schedule for a listing of current offerings.

Distance Education (Online@SUNYBroome)

SUNY Broome Community College offers a number of Distance Education courses each semester that are presented online through an Internet-based learning management system.  Students receive instruction, submit assignments, discuss content, ask questions of fellow students and their instructors, work on group assignments, and actively participate in academic experiences; all from their home, office, or from any place they have access to the Internet.  While the online environment provides much flexibility for the student, the courses are not self-paced.  There are assigned class activities that students participate in according to a class schedule and due dates that must be met.

The majority of online courses offered at SUNY Broome Community College are asynchronous, which means that there typically is no specific time a student has to be online or meet face-to-face.  Since every course, instructor and discipline is different, there may be exceptions to the totally asynchronous model.  These exceptions could include courses with required face-to-face meetings or exams, online synchronous activities (chat, online meeting, etc.), a clinical experience, or other synchronous component.  Students should contact the department offering the course with any questions or concerns regarding the required activities for a specific section being offered.

Online courses meet the same rigor, standards, and learning outcomes that our traditional courses offer. They are taught by SUNY Broome faculty who provide a high level of instruction and personal attention.

In many majors, students can complete a substantial part, or all, of their degree requirements online.

The Online@SUNYBroome website at is a valuable resource for students seeking to learn more about Distance Education at SUNY Broome.  The site provides information for prospective students thinking about taking an online course, as well as detailed instructions and a "FAQ" area for students currently enrolled in our distance education offerings.

International Students

International students have specific needs regarding visa and immigration matters, adjusting to a new culture, and ensuring success in the U.S. academic environment. At SUNY Broome Community College, the Assistant Director of Admissions/International Student Support Services (ISSS) assists students with all immigration and personal concerns throughout their studies at SUNY Broome Community College. Students can apply at:

SUNY Broome Community College is authorized and certified under federal law to enroll non-immigrant F1 (Visa) students. The International Admissions Office can offer information on current immigration regulations to assist international students in applying for and maintaining their legal status while studying in the United States. These services are available to SUNY Broome Community College international students before they leave their home country, upon arrival, and throughout their stay at SUNY Broome Community College.

International Admissions/Support Services is located in the Admissions Office, Wales Building, Room 102. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM all year (excluding major holidays and summer hours may vary). To make an appointment, please visit the office or call +1 (607) 778-5187. Walk-in hours are available during the school year, please call for current days and times. You can also contact our office by email at for any immigration questions and/or concerns you may have.

International Student Health Insurance

International Student Health is mandatory for all international students on both an F and J visa, as well as their dependents. Our health insurance cannot be waived. If you're an international student and need more information about health insurance, you can contact Susan Wellington, Assistant Director of Admissions/ISSS at or +1 (607) 778-5187.

Global Experiences/Faculty-Led Programs

Faculty-led programs (FLP) are short-term academic courses involving travel to domestic and international destinations. Programs usually range in time from 2 to 4 weeks. These are programs meant to broaden knowledge and cultural experiences.

The costs of these courses are included in fall/spring tuition. Students pay for the additional travel expenses. For more information on these programs, please contact the Global Experiences Office: Wales Building, Room 205, +1 (607) 778-5030, email Maria Basualdo at, or visit the website:

Baccalaureate Transfer


SUNY Broome Community College graduates have successfully transferred to a wide array of baccalaureate degree granting higher education institutions. These include both private and public colleges and universities in and out of New York State. The College offers transfer counseling and maintains articulation agreements for a wide variety of programs and institutions. Please contact the Counseling Department or Department Chairperson for more information.


Guaranteed SUNY Transfer

SUNY Broome graduates who transfer within SUNY benefit from transfer-friendly policies.  Students transferring directly from SUNY Broome with an AA or AS degree are guaranteed admission to a SUNY four-year campus, with guaranteed junior standing when transferring to a parallel program at a SUNY four-year campus.  Satisfactorily completed general education requirements at one SUNY campus will meet the same requirement at another SUNY campus.  SUNY Transfer Paths outline core coursework for specified majors that are common to all SUNY campuses offering those majors to maximize credit acceptance.  Program to program articulation agreements outline transfer requirements from SUNY Broome to another SUNY campus.

Part-Time Studies


General Information

Anyone in the community may enroll as a part-time student; SUNY Broome Community College attracts a large number each year. Many of them are "nontraditional" students, men and women who also work full-time. The College has a strong commitment to serving the part-time student.

Part-time students are those who take fewer than 12 credits per semester, usually one or two courses. At SUNY Broome Community College, part-time students can:

  • take day, evening, or online classes.
  • attend classes in the fall, spring, summer, or winter semester.
  • earn a degree or not, as they see fit. Certificate programs are available.
  • receive academic advising and personal counseling.
  • borrow books from the College library.
  • transfer applicable credits to SUNY Broome Community College earned at another college.
  • part-time matriculated students carrying at least 6 credit hours are eligible for financial aid; matriculated students carrying fewer than 6 credit hours may also qualify for some Federal and State financial aid.  All students should complete their FAFSA as early as possible.

Matriculation of Part-Time Students

Although part-time students can take courses without being matriculated (admitted into a program of study), students planning to earn a degree or certificate should matriculate early in their studies.  This will ensure more accurate and comprehensive advisement.  Also, financial aid programs require formal admission to a degree program.

Placement Test

Part-time students may be required to demonstrate basic skills competency for college level work.  All matriculated students - those who are officially enrolled in a degree program - may be required to take placement tests in reading, writing, and mathematics, or have the placement test(s) waived based on specific criteria.  The scores from the tests are used together with high school records to place students in courses where they will have the best chance to succeed.  Contact the Admissions Office +1 (607) 778-5001 or your advisor for testing information.


Transfer Agreements