ASA 310 - Supervised Clinical Internship
Two semesters of internship practicum, under supervision, in a chemical dependency related facility is required to provide exposure to the work of such facilities and sensitize students to prevention, clinical, and documentation skills of the profession. The student will enter the field work as an intern and will be subject to all legal, ethical, and professional standards required of staff members. Placement may include rehabilitation programs, detox units, prisons, hospitals, public school prevention programs/education programs, crisis centers, clinics or other recognized facilities designated for the education, prevention, or treatment of chemically dependent persons. A primary goal of the internship(s) is to evaluate the student under actual working conditions to ascertain readiness for clinical work in the field. Ethical principles and supervision are integrated into all areas of the experience.
Prerequisites: ASA 110 Introduction to Chemical Dependency Studies, ASA 210 Chemical Dependency Counseling I
2 Class Hours, 8-10 Internship Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a beginning level of integrated knowledge of addiction.
2. Work on client assessments while being supervised.
3. Process issues from therapeutic client interactions with a mentor.
4. Begin to initiate documentation of client behaviors under direct supervision.
5. Demonstrate a beginning understanding of the third party payer and referral systems.
6. Demonstrate understanding of the chemical dependency treatement spectrum.
7. Correlate ethical principles through all clinical decisions and applications.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)