SPK 110 - Effective Speaking
Principles and practices of public speaking. Students will present extemporaneous and prepared speeches. They will research, write, revise and deliver speeches, paying attention to audience, organization, technology, development, delivery, critical listening, and constructive evaluation.
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Feel more comfortable and confident in public speaking situations.
2. Build, practice, and deliver speeches with content and organization appropriate for the allotted time, intended audience, specific purpose, and given setting.
3. Deliver a variety of speeches, including informative, persuasive, inspirational, entertaining, and impromptu.
4. Develop the ability to use language clearly, accurately, concisely and appropriately, and to make effective use of body language, eye contact, vocal variety, diction, and visual aids (including PowerPoint) in public speaking.
5. Develop their research and writing skills to effectively enhance their public speaking skills.
6. Become better listeners and develop the ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
[Add to Portfolio]