LAW 215 - Estates, Probates and Trusts
Disposition of descendent's property, law of interstate succession, execution and probate of wills, nature and creation of trusts and the administration of estates and trusts, estate and gift tax preparation.
Prerequisite: LAW 110 Survey of Paralegalism
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Articulate the mechanics of the disposition of testate property by analyzing a will and having a client meeting which discusses the disposition.
2. Illustrate the substantive rules of will preparation by preparing a will.
3. Illustrate an understanding of intestate distribution by distributing the proceeds and preparing a written document which outlines the correct distribution.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the probate process by filing a probate petition.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the creation and administration of a trust by creating a trust.
6. Illustrate an understanding of the tax laws, both Federal and New York, which affect the estate by preparing an estate for file.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)