HIT 245 - Clinical Practicum
Professional practice experience in facilities, organizations and agencies related to healthcare. Students will gain practical experience in technical procedures and in developing professional attitudes in interacting with other professionals and consumers in the healthcare field. Clinical hours: 30 hr/week for 5 weeks.
Prerequisites: HIT 101 Introduction to Health Information Systems, HIT 117 Reimbursement Methodologies, HIT 222 Medical Legal Aspects, HIT 204 Inpatient Coding System, HIT 236, Quality Improvement
Corequisites: HIT 210 Management Principles for Health Information, HIT 214 Ambulatory Care Coding, HIT 295 Health Information Seminar
150 Clinical Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the HIM department in the overall function of the healthcare institution.
2. Observe the working relationships of the HIM practitioners and department staff, facility staff, visitors, and medical staff.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of patient confidentiality throughout the professional practice experience.
4. Recognize and apply the characteristics of a professional in his/her attitude throughout the professional practice experience.
5. Follow and demonstrate an understanding of facility/departmental policy and procedures.
6. Gain practical experience in a variety of HIM functions under the supervision of experienced practitioners.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)