Dec 03, 2023
Associate in Science Transfer Program
CIP CODE: 51.0000
The mission of the Health Studies A.S. degree is to prepare students for successful transfer to a broad range of baccalaureate programs in the health professions. Students will be well prepared to excel in future academic programs and a career in the health sciences by obtaining a broad foundation in science, mathematics, and technical electives. With options to choose electives of interest and the ability to complete SUNY General Education requirements, students will be prepared to successfully transfer into a baccalaureate program. Students also have the opportunity to simultaneously enroll in a certificate program and all credits earned will apply to the degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Effectively communicate accurate healthcare information, both written and spoken.
- Apply medical terminology and healthcare concepts into the skills of an entry level medical professional.
- Utilize the principles of ethical and professional behavior that is required of a healthcare professional.
- Apply relevant knowledge of cultural awareness as it relates to healthcare.
Erin O’Hara-Leslie, Chairperson
Office: Decker Center, Room 217
Telephone: +1 (607) 778-5495
SUNY Broome Community College offers the Health Studies A.S. degree as a means to prepare students to transfer to a broad range of programs in the health professions.
General Education Courses (32 credits)
Required Courses (23 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II (8 credits) (GE #2)
- Basic Communication:
- College Writing I (3 credits) (GE #10)
- Communicating About Ideas & Values (GE #7)
- Social Science Elective (recommend Psychology) (3 credits) (GE #3)
- Civic Education Elective (recommend Sociology) (3 credits) (GE #3)
- Mathematics (GE #1)
General Education Electives (6 credits from at least 3 different Gen Ed areas)
- US History (GE #4)
- The Arts (GE #8)
- Foreign Language (GE #9)
Humanities Elective (3 credits)
- ART/COM/HUM/LIT (all)/MUS/PHI/THR (GE #7)
Health Sciences and Related Electives (28 credits)
Required Health Science Courses (4 credits):
- Seminar in Health Science (1 credit)
- Personal Success Strategies (1 credit)
- Physical Education (1 credit cardiovascular recommended)
- Capstone for Health Careers HST 207 (1 credit)
Health-Related Electives (24 credits)
*See attached list
*Two of the above courses must be Writing Emphasis Courses to complete the degree
Looking for an Elective in the Health Studies?