Oct 29, 2020
Associate in Applied Science
CIP CODE: 24.0102
The mission of the Health Studies AAS degree is to prepare students for individualized healthcare career paths. This highly customizable degree with choices from among many different biology, science, and health-related courses, with many courses offered online, in a traditional classroom setting or a blend of the two, allow students to be prepared for employment in an entry-level position healthcare related field of their choice. Students also have the opportunity to simultaneously enroll in a certificate program allowing them to increase their skill set and employability. This degree also prepares students for transfer into competitive health programs.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Effectively communicate accurate healthcare information, both written and spoken.
- Apply medical terminology and healthcare concepts into the skills of an entry level medical professional.
- Utilize the principles of ethical and professional behavior that is required of a healthcare professional.
- Apply relevant knowledge of cultural awareness as it relates to healthcare.
Erin O'Hara-Leslie, Chairperson
Office: Decker Health Science Center, Room 217
Telephone: +1 (607) 778-5495
SUNY Broome Community College offers the Health Studies A.A.S. degree to prepare students to enter either direct care careers or programs in allied health professions.
Core Courses (23 credits)
Required Courses (20 credits)
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II (8 credits) (GE #2)
- Basic Communication:
- College Writing I (3 credits) (GE #10)
- Communicating About Ideas & Values (GE #7)
- Social Science Elective (recommend Psychology) (3 credits) (GE #3)
- Civic Education Elective (recommend Sociology) (3 credits) (GE #3)
General Education Electives (3 credits from Gen Ed areas)
- Mathematics (GE #1)
- Natural Sciences (GE #2)
- Social/Behavioral Sciences (GE #3)
- US History (GE #4)
- The Arts (GE #8)
- Foreign Language (GE #9)
Health Sciences and Related Electives (27 credits)
Required Health Science Courses (3 credits):
- Seminar in Health Science HST 100 (1 credit)
- Personal Success Strategies HST 109 (1 credit)
- Capstone for Health Careers HST 207 (1 credit)
Health-Related Electives (24 credits)
Technical Electives (10 credits)
- Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Courses
*Two of the above courses must be Writing Emphasis Courses to complete the degree
Certificates Available Within Health Studies Degree
Medical Transcription Certificate
Medical Administrative Skills Certificate
Looking for an Elective in the Health Studies?