CIP CODE: 31.0508
The A.S. Degree in Sport Studies prepares students for transfer to senior institutions in order to complete a baccalaureate in the following areas: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Coaching, Fitness Development, and Sport Studies. Graduates holding the A.S. degree also are prepared for immediate employment in: 1) businesses selling various sports products (equipment, clothing, health club memberships), 2) director of fitness facilities in public organizations and community settings such as YMCA, YWCA, Church organized program such as CYO (Church/Youth Organization), sports schools and specialized performance based year-round and summer camps.
- Students will be able to identify and discuss benefits of life-time wellness programs.
- Students will be able to identify and explain the importance of a proper diet, including water consumption each day for proper weight management, lean tissue development and preservation.
- Students will develop fundamental fitness concepts and skills that promote lifelong health and wellness.
- Students will be able to effectively communicate the important role health and wellness play in a healthy lifestyle.
- Students will be able to complete and explain a detailed wellness profile that includes all dimensions of wellness, highlighting personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Students will be prepared to transfer successfully into baccalaureate programs in physical education, sport studies, fitness development and coaching.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of literature, philosophy, and the creative arts, showing how the humanities are central to a critical study of western and global culture.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and one another language.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply critical analysis to texts and arguments, and develop arguments of their own.
Program supervised by:
Sandra Alter-Ballard, Coordinator
Office: Student Center, Room 101E
Telephone: 607 778-5322