CIP Code: 50.0102
The New Media Design Certificate prepares students to understand and articulate the relationship between visual communication theory and new media technologies within our diverse global society, prepares students for employment as a graphic designer, web designer, website content manager, multimedia designer, mobile web app designer, interactive designer, instructional designer, social media strategist and social media content coordinator, and provide students having already earned a four-year degree, or individuals that would like to pursue a second career and re-enter the workforce, the means to enhance their education through training in current technologies being used in relevant new media industries.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to create an effective multimedia graphic design piece that merges typography, digital imagery and time-based media that clearly communicates a message to a targeted audience.
- Students will be able to articulate the role of visual communication within society, and implement the creative process to solve diverse design problems.
- Students will be able to work competently in a variety of digital media environments.
- Students will be able to create multimedia design and video pieces that effectively communicate within diverse social media platforms geared towards advertising and social networking.
- Students will be able to examine and participate in virtual communities and distance learning environments.
- Demonstrate a full command of a variety of software packages and develop creative and effective problem-solving skills.
- Be able to apply classical formalist design theory to solving complex visual communication problems.
Patricia Evans, Chairperson
Science Building, Room 204
Telephone: +1 (607) 778-5503
All students will complete a set of courses: Two-Dimensional Design, Beginning Drawing, Computer Graphics, Basics of Website Creation, Social Media for Professional Use, Digital Photography, Advanced Computer Imagery, Motion Graphics, Filmmaking, Mobile Web App Development, and Interactive Web Sites.