ENG 163 - Reporting
An introduction to news reporting for print journalism. Students will consider what makes the news and sources of news. Concentrating on newswriting as it is practiced by newspapers, they will analyze news stories, try out interview strategies, and write stories in which they follow newspaper conventions of structure and style. Students will participate in writing for the school newspaper.
Prerequisite: ENG 110 College Writing I
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate basic skills in news gathering techniques.
2. Demonstrate understanding of basic story structure.
3. Have developed an appropriate writing voice to reach their intended audience.
4. Demonstrate basic skills in editorial/opinion writing.
5. Demonstrate basic skills in feature writing.
6. Demonstrate basic skills in sports reporting.
7. Demonstrate an improved understanding of media ethics and appropriate reportorial conduct.
8. Demonstrate specific skills needed to write for online publication.
9. Demonstrate basic editing techniques.
10. Generate articles for publication.
[Add to Portfolio]