BIO 090 - Preparatory Biology
A preparatory course for students with no previous biology or laboratory science experience and for students needing additional background. Especially for prospective health science students. Register with advisement only.
3 Lecture Hours, 3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the role of the scientific method and taxonomy in the study of biology.
2. Explain the structure of atoms and molecules and how they interact in chemical reactions in living organisms.
3. Describe the four groups of macromolecules including their general structure and function in biological systems.
4. Recognize the two basic types of cells including a detailed description of their structure and function.
5. Discuss how energy is obtained and utilized in both plant and animal cells.
6. Explain how eukaryotic cells reproduce to produce new cells.
7. Describe the structure of DNA and explain its role in protein synthesis.
Add to Portfolio