ASA 240 - Special Topics in Chemical Dependency
This course is designed to provide an overview of topics of special interest and cultural diversity in the field of addiction counseling. The course will examine issues of diverse and select client groups in treatment and recovery, including individuals with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered (LGBT), and the dually diagnosed.
Prerequisites: ASA 110 Introduction to Chemical Dependency Studies, ASA 210 Chemical Dependency Counseling I, ASA 220 Chemical Dependency Counseling II or permission of Instructor
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Apply the concept of critical analysis to current course work.
2. Demonstrate understanding of the role that each consumer's needs play in the clinical process.
3. Demonstrate understanding of the balance between diagnostic criteria and the individual needs of the consumer.
4. Develop insight into current treatment practices regarding the specialized treatment responses to the needs of various consumer groups.
5. Develop the capacity to define the individual needs of the consumer in theory and practice.
6. Develop the capacity to integrate ethical professional behavior which is responsive to the needs of various consumer groups.
7. Develop the capacity to maintain a positive relationship with managed care rooted in individual consumer needs.
8. Develop critical thinking skills with affirmative and negative positions regarding the role of managed care in chemical dependency treatment.
9. Develop critical thinking skills regarding the special needs of the following groups: women; physically challenged persons; LGBT clientele; narcotic dependent persons; criminal offenders; dually diagnosed; families; impaired professionals; and persons in chronic pain, and formulate affirmative and negative positions for specialized treatment responses to those needs.
10. Develop critical thinking regarding select current public policy issues and areas of concern in the arena of chemical dependency treatment.
Add to Portfolio