MDA 247 - Clinical Practicum II
Supervised practical experience for development of competency in medical assisting procedures through an externship placement in locations such as physician's offices, medical centers, school health departments, rehabilitation clinics, and other health care facilities. Clinical hours: 16 hr/week for 7.5 weeks.
Prerequisites: MDA 210 Pharmacology, MDA 207 Advanced Medical Office Management
Corequisite: MDA 245 Directed Practice Seminar, MDA 211 Medical Assisting Procedures III
8 Clinical Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Identify the roles and responsibilities of the medical assistant in the clinical and administrative setting.
2. Identify the roles and responsibilities of other team members in the medical office.
3. Apply principles of aseptic technique and infection control.
4. Practice Standard Precautions, including handwashing and disposal of biohazardous materials.
5. Perform sterilization techniques.
6. Comply with quality assurance practices.
7. Perform and practice diagnostic procedures, patient care, clinical/administrative procedures, effective communication, and legal concepts within the scope of practice of the student medical assistant.
[Add to Portfolio]