Jul 04, 2020
EGR 284 - Materials Science
Atomic model, bonding, lattice concept, crystal types, imperfections, stress and temperature effects, phase diagrams, alloys, ceramics, polymers, composites, corrosion, electrical and magnetic properties materials.
Prerequisite: PHY 182 Engineering Physics II and CHM 145 General Chemistry I and CHM 145L General Chemistry I Laboratory
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
1. Select the proper materials for designing a part or process.
2. Determine the processing needed to produce the necessary hardness.
3. Determine the methods needed to produce the necessary toughness and strength.
4. Design the processes required to produce the needed electrical, magnetic, and other properties.
5. Utilize the relationships between synthesis and processing.
6. Use the techniques learned to transform materials into useful devices and structures.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)