TLC 110 - Telecommunications I
This course is designed to train students in the organization, architecture, setup, maintenance, hardware, and software aspects of local area networks. Topics include: introduction to networks; types and characteristics of different network architectures and network topologies; intra and inter-network devices; network operating systems; peer-to-peer and client/server environments; LAN setup and maintenance, network printing; internal web server. A hands-on approach will be taken, with team projects throughout.
Prerequisite: EET 122 Electrical Circuits
Corequisite: EET 151 Electronic Systems I
4 Class Hours
1. Describe Local Area Network (LAN) organization and operation.
2. Describe the purpose and function of various LAN protocols.
3. Describe the purpose and function of LAN interconnection technologies.
4. Use LANs for data communications.
5. Use network analysis software to view, verify, and troubleshoot network traffic conditions.
6. Explain general characteristics and devices of a wireless network.
7. Work productively as a team, practicing project leadership, interpersonal skills, and conflict resolution in a networked environment.
8. Practice problem solving via the planning, organization and delivery of projects in a networked environment.
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Describe the organization, operation, set up, and maintenance of a local area network.
2. Explain the types and characteristics of different network architectures, topologies, and components.
3. Describe the OSI reference model and the functions of LAN protocols.
4. Describe the hardware aspects of a LAN: the purpose and function of LAN intra and interconnecting network devices.
5. Set up and use LANs for data communications.
6. Explain the general characteristics and devices of a wireless network and configure a small wireless network.
7. Practice problem solving, teamwork, and leadership skills, via the planning, organization, and delivery of projects in a networked environment.
[Add to Portfolio]