Oct 18, 2018
CUL 218L - Garde Manger
Instruction on a broad base of culinary skills, from basic cold food preparations to roasting, poaching, simmering, and sautéing meats, fish, poultry, vegetables, and legumes. Includes detailed practical instruction on cold sauces and soups; salads; sandwiches; cured and smoked foods; sausages; terrines, pâtes, galantines, and roulades; cheese; appetizers and hors d'oeuvre; condiments, crackers, and pickles; and buffet development and presentation.
Prerequisites: BHM 110 Sanitation and Safety, BHM 216 Quantity Food Production, CUL 200 Baking Principles, or permission of department Chair. All skills required to successfully complete Garde Manger.
4 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the role of the professional garde manger.
2. Perform the preparation or presentatin of:
- cold sauces and cold soups
- cured and smoked foods
- terrines, patés, galantines, and roulades
- cheese appetizers and hor d'oeuvre
- condiments, crackers, and pickles
- buffer presentation
[Add to Portfolio]