SPA 201 - Intermediate Spanish I
One purpose of this class is to review what the student has already learned and to expand on it. This is a grammar class with an introduction to cultural and literary readings and basic research on topics related to the Spanish-speaking world. All skills (reading. Writing, listening, and speaking), as well as the three basic fields (grammar, literature, and culture), will be emphasized in the course. Speaking the language is greatly stressed at this level.
Prerequisite: SPA 102 Beginning Spanish II
3 Class Hours
SPA 201 is an appropriate entry point for most students with four or more years of high school Spanish.
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Develop an understanding of intermediate Spanish grammar that cover forms, meanings and functions, and use them appropriately in oral and written communication.
2. Develop intermediate oral fluency in pronunciation, listening comprehension, speaking, and oral presentations necessary for successful real-world communication.
3. Develop their active vocabulary of high-frequency words, collocations, and idiomatic expressions that are commonly used in the Spanish-speaking world.
4. Develop reading comprehension fluency at the low intermediate level through a variety of authentic genres, including academic discourse, newspaper and magazine articles, fiction, poetry, and essays.
5. Develop intermediate writing proficiency through various writing assignments such as comprehension questions, paragraphs, essays, journals, and letters.
6. Develop an understanding of Spanish-speaking cultures and societies as well as that of their own.
[Add to Portfolio]