SPA 101 - Beginning Spanish I
This course introduces the student to the sound system and grammatical structure of the Spanish language. The focus will be on developing and raising skill levels in the areas of aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing. Use of the target language is greatly stressed. This course will also address various cultural aspects of the Spanish-speaking world.
Spanish 101 is for students with little or no previous Spanish study. Students are not expected to know Spanish when they begin the course. This is not a course to be taken for review. Students with more than two years of high school Spanish should NOT enroll in this course. You must talk to your Professor, immediately, if you do have more than two years of high school Spanish. **Be aware that this class is not suitable for native and heritage speakers of Spanish. Native and heritage speakers must not enroll in this course** NO EXCEPTIONS.
4 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate beginning level knowledge about Spanish cultures through course activities.
- Conduct beginning level conversations in Spanish in the present tense including: giving directions, asking and answering simple questions, and relating daily academic and familial activities.
- Demonstrate beginning Spanish grammatical structure and syntax, including proper use of regular and stem-changing present tense verbs, reflexives, noun/adjective agreement, and direct object pronouns.
- Demonstrate ability to read and comprehend beginning level Spanish materials.
- Demonstrate ability to write in beginning level Spanish, using complete sentences in paragraph form or in a dialogue.
[Add to Portfolio]