SOS 155 - Media and Society
An in-depth examination and analysis of the impacts and effects of the mass media upon society an the converse societal influences upon the media. Includes such issues as media concentration, portrayal of violence, stereotyping, the public's right to know, among others.
Prerequisite: COM 100 Introduction to Mass Media
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Define some of the major concepts in media studies.
2. Describe the historic and present day forms of media.
3. Discuss the economic, political, social, and cultural context within which the media operate.
4. Identify the major functions of the media in contemporary society.
5. Analyze selected issues and problems in the contemporary media landscape.
[Add to Portfolio]