SOS 127 - Introduction to Conflict Resolution and Mediation
This course will explore the dynamics of conflict; and the theory of alternative dispute resolution methods; how communication skills enhance resolution or escalate conflict; an examination of various approaches to the resolution of conflict. A major emphasis will be on the principles of mediation an skills required for effective mediation practice thus much of the course will require active class participation, including role play.
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of teh Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Identify various methods of conflict resolution and how these methods have developed historically.
2. Identify conflict as an inevitable part of life that offers opportunities for growth and responsibility.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of alternative dispute resolution in our society.
4. Describe the role that conflict plays in their personal and professional lives.
5. Identify alternatives to the court system for conflict resolution.
6. Apply ways to enhance communication skills that help them and others present their point of view.
7. Experience the mediation process as mediator and disputant.
[Add to Portfolio]