Oct 20, 2020
BIO 090 - Preparatory Biology
A preparatory course for students with no previous biology or laboratory science experience and for students needing additional background. Especially for prospective health science students. Register with advisement only.
3 Lecture Hours, 3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Understand the role of the scientific method and taxonomy in the study of biology.
- Explain the structure of atoms and molecules and how they interact in chemical reactions in living organisms.
- Describe the four groups of macromolecules including their general structure and function in biological systems.
- Recognize the two basic types of cells including a detailed description of their structure and function.
- Discuss how energy is obtained and utilized in both plant and animal cells.
- Explain how eukaryotic cells reproduce to produce new cells.
- Describe the structure of DNA and explain its role in protein synthesis.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)