EVE 125 - Wedding Planning, Coordination & Consulting
Wedding Planning, Coordination and Consulting provides a comprehensive introduction to the planning and management of weddings. Looking through an event management lens, this course will thoroughly explore the foundations, practice and business of wedding planning.
Prerequisite: EVE 101 Fundamentals of Event Management; self evident
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the Role and Scope of Wedding Consultancy.
a. How wedding planning has evolved.
b. Wedding seasons
2. Perform Market estimates.
a. How to structure your business based on your market place.
b. How to evaluate your competition when establishing your services.
3. Understand weddings, culture and various wedding customs, the socialization for marriage, pre-wedding rituals.
4. Understand the mediated construction of weddings; invented traditions.
5. Understand and market to same-sex relationships and unions; intercultural and interfaith marriages.
6. Marriage license.
7. Capitalize on weddings and consumerism; understand the urge to consume.
a. The opportunity of the engagement party.
b. Themes for engagement party as it carries through to wedding/reception.
c. Engagement announcements.
9. Bridal showers.
10. Understand sponsored weddings; explain and cater to anti-consumptive and conservationist weddings.
11. Locating ceremony and reception sites.
a. Conducting a site inspection.
b. Ceremony and reception site guidelines.
12. Understand the Tourism and Destination Weddings Market.
13. Provide Accommodations and Services for Visiting Friends and Relatives.
14. Understand and Implement Wedding Timelines.
a. Wedding planning schedule.
b. Wedding day timeline.
c. Introductions, special seating, receiving line, dance sequence.
15. Understand Legal Issues Connected to Weddings.
16. Create a Consultant checklist.
17. Create and Abide by Wedding Budgets and Understand Wedding Budget Categories.
a. Financial responsibility.
b. Costs and statistics for wedding services.
18. Client Relations.
a. Initial client call and consultation.
b. Interfacing with a client.
19. Determine the Wedding Vision and Wedding themes.
20. Demonstrate Proficiency in Food, Beverage and the Wedding Cake.
21. Understand wedding attire, the bridal party attire, bridal attire, menswear, cultural traditions and wardrobe malfunctions.
22. Understand the intricacies of the wedding ceremony and the ceremony program.
a. Procession and recession guidelines.
b. Wedding attendants’ duties.
23. Selecting, qualifying and working with wedding professionals.
24. Display competence in floral décor; selecting flowers; centerpieces and other decorative elements.
25. Understand photography; movement from film to digital photography; the two primary styles of photography, album design and trends.
26. Understand and select ceremony music and entertainment; cocktail hour music and entertainment, reception music and entertainment.
27. Perform rentals and site layout; select tents, tables, chairs, linens and tableware.
a. Ceremony and reception site guidelines/venue policies and typical rules as they pertain to the above.
28. Select and determine lighting; outdoor considerations; site layout.
29. Understand stationery elements and etiquette; save-the-date notices; invitations.
a. Save the date announcements.
ii. Ceremony programs
iii. Seating stationery
v. Personalized napkins, boxes, bags and matches
vi. Wedding announcements
vii. Thank-you notes
viii. Consultant checklist
30. Understand transportation topics.
a. Transportation to the ceremony venue.
b. Transportation from the ceremony to the reception.
c. Transportation from the reception to the final destination.
d. Transportation costs and final details.
31. Wedding day details.
a. Bridal preparations.
32. Emergency tips and suggested emergency kit.
33. Conduct post-wedding evaluations.
a. Conduct a post-wedding evaluation.
b. The wedding summary.
34. Building your business.
a. Write a business plan specific to target audiences.
b. Charging for your services/determining your pricing structure.
i. Developing a marketing strategy
c. Key elements of your reputation and image.
i. Determining your target market
ii. Marketing tool development
d. Online marketing.
e. Public relations - writing your press release.
f. Obtaining a business license.
g. Obtaining business insurance.
35. Articulate four secrets of selling to brides.
a. Understand the client interview, communication and contracts.
b. Perform initial screening.
c. Conduct client interviews.
d. Proceed with follow-up communications.
e. Understand basic wedding contracts.
f. Calculate compensation.
g. Enhance vendor relations, networking and negotiations.
36. Participation in local and/or regional bridal shows - which shows to participate in.
37. Sales methods and follow-up.
a. Coordinate office management.
b. Understand wedding business equipment essentials.
c. Build a staff.
d. Understand competition, obligations and ethics.
e. Understand demand and competition.
f. Articulate obligations.
g. Perform ethically - Code of Ethics.
a. The importance of philanthropy in your business.
b. How to incorporate philanthropy into your particular business.
c. Tips and ideas you can implement easily.
39. Stress management and career enrichment.
a. Enact stress management tips.
b. Understand facets of career enrichment.
40. Getting an internship.
41. Industry conferences.
[Add to Portfolio]