Jul 23, 2019
SPM 279 - Management/Promotion of Sports Events and Facilities
This course provides students with the theoretical foundations and practical applications for understanding the sporting event industry. The course will focus on sporting events within a sport facility setting and will include budgeting, marketing, sponsorship, volunteer management, community relations, and all aspects of facility operations. Students will participate in the development and operational administration of a game or special sport event.
Prerequisite: SPM 110 Foundations of Sports Management
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an udnerstanding of the nature and scope of the sport event and facility management industry, and management competencies required through exploring reglarly held local and regional sporting events and the steps and actions involved in conducting those events.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the functions and roles of management in sport facility management organizations and apply those principles through case study analysis.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of selected sport event management functions including marketing, sponsorship, project maagement, and risk management.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in the recognition and solution of problems and challenges in event management through observing and/or planning and conducting a sport event.
- Demonstrate the ability to use common sport industry and professional networking tools to prepare for further study and eventual successful entry into the sport industry.
[Add to Portfolio]