MLT 120 - Medical Laboratory Techniques and Practices
Introduction to basic skills and equipment used in th clinical laboratory. Orientation to elements of quality control, laboratory mathematics, clinical assay techniques, safety, and collection and handling of specimens for laboratory analysis.
Prior or Concurrent: CLT 110 Introduction to Clinical Laboratory Technology and approval of the CLT advisor
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Identify and use basic laboratory glassware.
2. Utilize appropriate medical terminology.
3. Name and demonstrate the function of the components of the compound microscope.
4. Perform common laboratory mathematical calculations.
5. Describe the types of patient specimens that are analyzed in the clinical laboratory.
6. Demonstrate understanding of requisitioning, specimen transport, and specimen processing.
7. Demonstrate understanding of quality assurance.
8. Discuss the function of hematology, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis, immunology, and immunohematology labs in regards to: (a.) type of specimen analyzed (b.) type of testing performed.
[Add to Portfolio]