MDA 246 - Clinical Practicum I
Supervised practical experience for development of fundamental skills in medical assisting through an externship placement in a variety of healthcare facilities, such as general practice physician offices, medical centers, school health departments, rehabilitation clinics, and specialty medical practices. Students will complete 2 rotations throughout the 15 week semester.
Prerequisites: HST 210 Pharmacology, MDA 201 Medical Assisting Procedures II, MDA 206 Medical Office Management, MDA 207 Advanced Medical Office Management
Corequisites: MDA 211 Medical Assisting Procedures III and MDA 211L Medical Assisting Procedures III Laboratory
8 Clinical Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate ability to effectively and correctly perform clinical and administrative tasks within the healthcare setting, while staying within scope of practice of a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrate ability to respond to emergency situations and ethical dilemmas, while staying within scope of practice of a Medical Assistant.
- Comply with legal rules and regulations, such as those by OSHA, HIPAA, and standards, as set by the CDC.
- Document patient care accurately within the medical record.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills through verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrate ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patients and other members of the healthcare team, while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Work as an effective member of the healthcare team by completing tasks as assigned, both independently, and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate professional behavior expected of the medical assistant during externship, including ability to follow policies and procedures of the healthcare facility, course, department, and college.
[Add to Portfolio]