Jul 20, 2019
MDA 208 - Medical Ethics, Law and Economics (WE)
This course provides an introduction to medical ethics and laws related to the healthcare profession. Students will gain an understanding of medical ethics, including ethical principles and theories, which set the standard of conduct and care for providers and other healthcare professionals, including allied healthcare workers. An understanding of the laws pertaining to healthcare, including civil and criminal law, and statutory and regulatory requirements of the healthcare professional will be emphasized. Bioethical topics will be introduced and students will gain the ability to apply ethical principles, theories, and requirements of the law to ethical dilemmas. A focus on differentiating between personal and professional ethics and how personal morals impacts professional performance will aid the student in the ethical decision making process. This course is designated as a writing emphasis course. This component requires approximately 2,000-2,500 words (8-10 pages) of formal writing, including revisions to improve writing ability, utilizing APA syle.
3 Class Hours
This course is designated as a writing emphasis course.
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Define and apply ethical principles and theories to ethical dilemmas and bioethical issues faced by healthcare professionals and their patients.
- Describe and be able to compare and contrast the scope of practice, education, training, credentialing, licensing requirements, and standard of care for various providers and allied healthcare professionals.
- Define and describe medicolegal terms and the various laws impacting the practice of healthcare, including responsibilites of the healthcare professional to comply with requirements of the law.
- Differentiate between personal and professional ethics and discuss how personal morals impact professional performance and the ethical decision making process.
- Prepare written papers which adhere to APA style, the professional writing style of a career in the healthcare field.
[Add to Portfolio]