May 26, 2019
MDA 207 - Advanced Medical Office Management
This course provides the Medical Assisting student with advanced office management skills to effectively prepare them to work within the ambulatory care setting. Students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to perform accounting, banking, billing, collections, and human resource/office management tasks. Students will gain the ability to develop professional correspondence, education, and marketing materials. This course will provide students with the skills necessary to become effective leaders and supervisors within their field. An emphasis on the development of sensitive and culturally appropriate communication skills is included throughout the course. Simulated exercises throughout the course will enhance course objectives. This course is designated as a service-learning course. This component requires completion of a service-learning project to benefit the campus/community and a reflection paper, geared to promote the development of leadership, marketing, and educational material development skills.
Prior or Concurrent: MDA 102 Medical Assisting Science and MDA 206 Medical Office Management
Co-requisite: MDA 102 Medical Assisting Science
3 Class Hours, 2 laboratory Hours
For Medical Assisting students only
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the students will be able to:
- Define accounting terms and perform billing and bookkeeping procedures.
- Describe and perform banking procedures.
- Describe billing and collection procedures, precautions related to payments, and information contained within the patient billing record.
- Demonstrate ability to perform human resource/office management, and supervisory tasks.
- Demonstrate ability to engage in culturally sensitve and developmentally appropriate communication.
- Develop professional corrspondence, educational, and marketing materials.
[Add to Portfolio]