Aug 16, 2018
MDA 114L - First Aid
This course focuses on the provision of basic first aid and CPR to respond to emergency situations. Emphasis is on the recognition and response to medical emergencies within the community or healthcare setting and ability of the student to successfully perform first aid/CPR skills. Course will include American Heart Association Professional Level Basic Life Support and American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid certifications, which are valid for 2 years.
This course requires additional fees for the CPR and First Aid Certification Cards.
2 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- State an understanding of an emergency responder's role, scope of practice, and skills included in basic first aid and professional level CPR.
- Apply the principles of standard precautions to prevent the spread of bloodborne pathogens.
- Define the ethical and legal issues facing emergency medical issues, including, but not limited to: advanced directives, Good Samaritan Laws, and HIPAA compliance.
- Demonstrate proper technique for 1 and 2 rescuer CPR for infants, children, and adults, including use of an AED, following American Heart Association guidelines.
- Perform a head to toe emergency patient assessment and vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, and respirations).
- Perform first aid for a variety of basic medical emergencies following American Heart Association guidelines.
[Add to Portfolio]