PHS 298 - Physical Science Senior Seminar
This course is a capstone course for students in the LAAS program who plan to go on to major in one of the physical sciences. Students will learn how to search for, read, and interpret scientific papers, and then present that information to others in a formal setting. This will prepare students for their science program at a 4-year school by becoming better consumers and producers of scientific information through journal articles and presentations.
Prerequisites: PHS 113 Astronomy - Exploring the Universe, PHS 114 Meteorology: Investigating the Weather, or PHS 115 The Dynamic Earth
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to search a scientific journal database for information specific to their interest.
2. Understand how to read and interpret scientific paper.
3. Demonstrate the ability to convey complicated topics in an understandable way to their peers.
4. Summarize the information learned from an oral presentation and ask relevant questions.
5. Conduct a formal presentation on a current topic in physical science.
[Add to Portfolio]