HIT 222 W - Medical Legal Aspects
Introduction to legal aspects of medical records. Legal basis for medical practice, confidentiality. Patient’s “Bill of Rights,” HIPAA, voluntary and involuntary release of medical information. Authorizations and consents, professional liabilities, medical-moral issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sterilization, artificial insemination and organ transplantations.
Prerequisite: ENG 110 College Writing I
3 Class Hours
This course is designated as a writing emphasis course.
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Complete written lab assignments on various topics.
2. Apply current laws, accreditations and certification standards related to health information initiatives.
3. Apply policies and procedures for access and disclosure to personal health information.
4. Understand procedures regarding the release of patient information to authorized users.
5. Apply and promote ethical standards of practice.
[Add to Portfolio]