ART 230 - Producing Public Murals
Producing Public Murals introduces students to all aspects of mural design and production. The curriculum will help students develop several practical skills: drawing, painting, understanding logistics, planning strategies/processes, selecting materials, and problem-solving. Students will identify and evaluate prospective mural sites; study the composition and durability of various paints and sealants; investigate various methodologies for painting and/or installing murals; and, ultimately, participate in the creation of a public mural. In addition, students will explore the role of murals (and other forms of public art) in the aesthetic, social, and economic revitalization of communities.
Prerequisites: Art 115 Beginning Drawing, Art 116 Painting I, or permission of instructor
2 Class Hours, 3 Studio Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Identify and evaluate prospective mural sites.
2. Describe the composition and durability of various paints and sealants available for mural production.
3. Analyze composition, durability and other practical characteristics of various substrates available for mural production.
4. Apply various methodologies for painting murals on-site.
5. Apply various methodologies for painting murals on substrates in a studio.
6. Explain various methodolgies for installing studio-prepared murals on-site.
7. Estimate mural production costs.
8. Articulate various ways in which murals (and other forms of public art) contribute to community revitalization: socially, aesthetically, and economically.
9. Creatively and constructively apply knowledge of color theory to mural painting.
10. Resize images to fit the scale of the mural site (substrate).
11. Explain relationships between traditional mural painting & various social, political, and theological ideologies.
12. Create a mural capable of eliciting heartfelt response and that has the potential to act as a catalyst for positive social change.
[Add to Portfolio]