ESL 115 - English as a Second Language Reading and Writing 3
English reading and writing skills for non-native speakers at the high-intermediate level. Practice in reading high-intermediate texts and development of critical reading skills. Practice in writing paragraphs and multi-paragraph compositions, and in using intermediate sentence patterns and correct spelling and punctuation. Introduction to essay writing.
Prerequisite: ESL 103 English as a Second Language Grammar 2, ESL 104 English as a Second Language Speaking & Listening 2, ESL 105 English as a Second Language Reading and Writing 2
Corequisites: ESL 113 English as a Second Language Grammar 3, ESL 114 English as a Second Langauge Speaking & Listening 3
4 Class Hours
(This course is not acceptable for credits toward a degree)
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the purpose of pre-reading strategies: skimming, scanning.
2. Identify the main idea and supporting details.
3. Identify the topics.
4. Write summaries.
5. Use context clues to understand unfamiliar vocabulary.
6. Write four (4) coherent and unified paragraphs in response to course reading.
7. Use self and peer editing.
8. Proofread for errors in spelling, grammar and context organization.
9. Demonstrate knowledge of 2500 basic English words in speaking and writing.
10. Understand and use American idiomatic expressions.
11. Learn to get meaning from context.
[Add to Portfolio]