EGR 288 L - Engineering Design IV
This fourth course in design is intended to prepare engineering students for the future challenges of design. Design is presented as the integration of creativity, knowledge, skills, collaboration and hard work to solve problems. Emphasis will be on achieving design solutions that are high quality, innovative, low cost, and produced quickly. The design process provides a structure in which the various phases of design occur in a logical and efficient sequence in order to arrive at the most successful outcome. This course will present the best of traditional design practices as well as several design tools. Creativity methods will be presented and creativity encouraged in the course. Group design projects with oral presentations are required as part of this course. Students are encouraged to enter their completed design projects in regional and national competitions.
Prerequisite: EGR 287 Engineering Design III
3 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Write and execute simple problems in machine language on a single board microprocessor. These programs should include use of:
b. condition codes
c. double precision
d. operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and squares
e. number conversion among binary, octal, hexidecimal, and BCD
2. Wire a memory mapped circuit for input and output.
3. Interface the microprocessor with a teletype via parallel to serial.
4. Wire circuit which uses the PIA for input and output.
5. Determine the wavelengths of the Balmer series in the hydrogen spectra.
6. Accurately determine the ratio of charge to mass for an electron.
7. Understand the operation of the Geiger Tube and Scaler.
8. Determine the maximum energy of a beta particle by the absorption method.
9. Determine the percent of backscattering of a beta particle for aluminum and lead as a function of thickness.
10. Determine the albedo of water and the thermal neutron flux of the plutonium-beryltium source.
[Add to Portfolio]