CIV 170 - Introduction to GIS
Digital spatial data has become a staple of modern society, from the GPS (global positioning systems) in your car to the targeted advertising in your mail all rely on GIS (geographic information systems) to analyze and map data spatially. This course provides an introduction to mapping and analyzing spatial data using ArcGIS. Particular attention will be given to understanding and using the two typical data types, raster and vector.
2 Class Hours, 2 Laboratory Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Be proficient with ArcGIS software.
2. Understand and use GIS terminology.
3. Create maps of thematic subjects.
4. Use raster and vector data as appropriate in spatial analysis.
5. Use appropriate symbology for thematic maps.
6. Develop spatial queries for selecting features.
7. Prepare spatial queries for creating reports.
[Add to Portfolio]