MAT 088 - Introduction to Trigonometry
Convert between radians and degrees, reference angles in degrees and radians, exact trigonometric ratios in 30o -60o -90o triangles and 45o -45o -90o triangles, values of six trigonometric functions using right triangles, applications using right triangles, evaluate six trigonometric functions of general angles and inverse trigonometric values in degrees and radians.
Prerequisite: MAT 087 Geometry
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Convert between radians and degrees.
2. Find reference angles for angles measured in degrees and radians.
3. Use exact trigonometric ratios in a 30o -60o -90o triangle and 45o -45o -90o triangle to solve problems without need for a calculator.
4. Evaluate the six trigonometric functions of general angles measured in degrees.
5. Evaluate inverse trigonometric values to degree measure.
6. Evaluate the six trigonometric functions of general angles measured in radians.
7. Evaluate inverse trigonometric values to radians.
8. Find values of the six trigonometric functions using right triangles.
9. Solve applications using right triangle trigonometry.
In the context of the course objectives listed above, upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics.
2. Represent mathematical information symbolically, visually, numerically and verbally.
3. Employ quantitative methods such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or statistics to solve problems.
4. Estimate and check mathematical results for reasonableness.
5. Recognize the limitations of mathematical and statistical methods.
[Add to Portfolio]