MAT 084 - Polynomials
Arithmetic of polynomials: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Factoring polynomials, including special forms. Solving polynomial equations. Applications of polynomial functions will be presented.
Prerequisite: MAT 082 Linear Equations
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Define and identify polynomials.
2. Add and subtract polynomials.
3. Multiply polynomials.
4. Factor a monomial from a polynomial.
5. Factor expressions that are quadratic in form.
6. Factor expressions that are the sum and difference of cubes.
7. Factor expressions that can be factored by grouping.
8. Divide polynomials by monomials.
9. Divide polynomials by binomials using long division.
10. Solve polynomial equations.
11. Solve applications involving polynomial equations.
In the context of the course objectives listed above, upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics.
2. Represent mathematical information symbolically, visually, numerically and verbally.
3. Employ quantitative methods such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or statistics to solve problems.
4. Estimate and check mathematical results for reasonableness.
5. Recognize the limitations of mathematical and statistical methods.
[Add to Portfolio]