MAT 083 - Systems of Linear Equations
Methods for solving 2-by-2 and 3-by-3 systems of linear equations. Graphing, substitution, elimination, and row operation methods will be discussed and used. Applications of linear systems will be presented.
Prerequisite: MAT 082 Linear Equations
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Solve 2 by 2 linear systems by graphing.
2. Solve 2 by 2 linear systems by substitution.
3. Solve 2 by 2 and 3 by 3 linear systems by elimination.
4. Solve 2 by 2 and 3 by 3 linear systems by row operations.
5. Solve applications problems involving 2 by 2 and 3 by 3 systems of linear equations.
In the context of the course objectives listed above, upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics.
2. Represent mathematical information symbolically, visually, numerically and verbally.
3. Employ quantitative methods such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or statistics to solve problems.
4. Estimate and check mathematical results for reasonableness.
5. Recognize the limitations of mathematical and statistical methods.
[Add to Portfolio]