MAT 082 - Linear Equations
Write equations of a given line in point-slope, slope-intercept and general forms. Find equations of parallel, perpendicular, vertical and horizontal lines. Identify parallel and perpendicular lines from the equations. Graph linear equations in two variables using x-y coordinate system. Graph solutions of linear inequalities. Define and evaluate functions using function notation. Formulate and solve problems involving linear equations and linear functions. Solve linear literal equations and linear inequalities.
Prerequisite: MAT 081 Fractions, Decimals and Percents
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Graph using the rectangular coordinate system.
2. Find the slope of a line.
3. Find equations of lines using point-slope form, slope-intercept form and general form.
4. Reduce all forms of line equations to slope intercept form.
5. Graph linear equations in two variables.
6. Find equations of vertical and horizontal lines.
7. Identify parallel and perpendicular lines from their equations.
8. Find equations of parallel and perpendicular lines.
9. Define and evaluate functions using function notation.
10. Formulate and solve problems involving linear equations and linear functions.
11. Solve linear literal equations.
12. Solve linear inequalities.
13. Graph solutions of linear inequalities.
In the context of the course objectives listed above, upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics.
2. Represent mathematical information symbolically, visually, numerically and verbally.
3. Employ quantitative methods such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or statistics to solve problems.
4. Estimate and check mathematical results for reasonableness.
5. Recognize the limitations of mathematical and statistical methods.
[Add to Portfolio]