MAT 081 - Fractions and Percents
Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of arithmetic fractions. Fractions in equivalent form. Conversion between fractions, percents and decimals with rounding. Define and simplify rational expressions with negative exponents. Evaluate rational variable expressions given values of the variable. Solve basic percentage, ratio and proportion application problems. Solve problems using scientific notation. Solve problems involving both English and Metric measurement conversions.
Prerequisite: MAT 080 Integer and Decimal Arithmetic
1 Class Hour
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Add, subtract, multiply, and divide arithmetic fractions both with and without the use of a calculator.
2. Define negative exponents and simplify expressions containing them.
3. Write fractions in equivalent forms.
4. Convert between decimals, fractions and percents (including rounding).
5. Evaluate rational variable expressions given values for the variables.
6. Solve basic ratio and proportion application problems.
7. Solve percent application problems.
8. Solve application problems involving both English and Metric measurement conversions.
9. Solve problems using scientific notation.
In the context of the course objectives listed above, upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics.
2. Represent mathematical information symbolically, visually, numerically and verbally.
3. Employ quantitative methods such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or statistics to solve problems.
4. Estimate and check mathematical results for reasonableness.
5. Recognize the limitations of mathematical and statistical methods.
[Add to Portfolio]