Sep 25, 2018
COM 154 - Media and Society
An in-depth examination and analysis of the impacts and effects of the mass media upon society and the converse societal influences upon the media. Includes such issues as media concentration, portrayal of violence, stereotyping, the publics right to know, among others.
Prerequisite: COM 100 or SOS 110
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Define some of the major concepts in media studies.
- Describe the historic and present day forms of media.
- Discuss the economic, political, social, and cultural context within which the media operate.
- Identify the major functions of the media in contemporary society.
- Analyze selected issues and problems in the contemporary media landscape.
[Add to Portfolio]