COM 115 - Writing for the Media
This course is an introductory study of the elements necessary for all media-based writing. Students will be exposed to standard industry formats used in newspaper, magazine, public relations, print advertising, and internet media. Students will learn to work against a deadline as they would in a staff writer position.
Prerequisite: Eng 110 College Writing I
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the history of written communication mediums and how they have both evolved and changed over time.
2. Describe the role that technology has played in changing how people gain access to written communication mediums over time.
3. Understand the basic functions and tasks of various positions in the advertising, news reporting, and public relations industries.
4. Have a working knowledge of basic grammatical and citational styles and formats when completing their assignments.
5. Produce a class project specifically highlighting one or more of the written communication mediums and print industries covered in class.
[Add to Portfolio]