Jul 16, 2020
COM 115 - Writing for the Media
This course is an introductory study of the elements necessary for all media-based writing. Students will be exposed to standard industry formats used in newspaper, magazine, public relations, print advertising, and internet media. Students will learn to work against a deadline as they would in a staff writer position.
Prerequisite: ENG 110 College Writing I
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Understand the history of written communication mediums and how they have both evolved and changed over time.
- Describe the role that technology has played in changing how people gain access to written communication mediums over time.
- Understand the basic functions and tasks of various positions in the advertising, news reporting, and public relations industries.
- Have a working knowledge of basic grammatical and citational styles and formats when completing their assignments.
- Produce a class project specifically highlighting one or more of the written communication mediums and print industries covered in class.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)