CHM 145 - General Chemistry I
Comprehensive treatment of general chemistry for the science-oriented student. Builds on their prior chemistry, with emphasis on the basic laws and theories of chemistry and their derivation from experimental evidence. Presents the qualitative and quantitative aspects of matter's composition and changes and their unifying principles. Includes physical and chemical properties, periodicity of elements, stoichiometry, current atomic and bonding theories, laws and theories of physical states and changes of state, solution chemistry, and thermochemistry.
Prerequisite: Regents Chemistry (75 minimum final grade) or CHM 090 Preparatory Chemistry, MAT 096 Elementary Algebra and Trigonometry or Math A (minimum grade of 85)
Corequisite: CHM 145L General Chemistry I Laboratory
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the use of the Scientific Method and its importance in accessing experimental data.
2. Understand the method of factor labeling and its application of solving a variety of chemistry problems, especially mole relationships.
3. Understand the language of chemistry with regard to nomenclature, equation writing and stoichiometry.
4. Demonstrate the intricate nature of the elements by examining atomic structure, electronic configuration and formation of compounds through techniques such as spectroscopy.
5. Understand chemistry laws with their respective chemical equations to explore the gas laws, thermochemistry, atomic structure and bonding.
6. Develop a chemical aptitude to understand the importance of chemical structure of compounds with respect to bonding, intermolecular relationships and molecular geometry. This chemical awareness will be utilized to comprehend complex chemistry scenarios such as oxidation reduction systems; global climate change; pharmaceutical research; nanotechnology; energy transformations; and many other areas where chemistry helps individuals to explain the laws of nature.
[Add to Portfolio]