Dec 10, 2018
CLT 241 - Clinical Affiliation II
Performance of procedures in urinalysis, body fluid analysis, phlebotomy, hematology, and coagulation in an affiliated medical laboratory under direct supervision of medical laboratory personnel. Students will conduct routine analytical procedures, develop their laboratory skills, and apply knowledge gained in the program. Emphasis is on specimen collection and processing, quality control, preventative maintenance, laboratory safety, and significance of abnormal results. Clinical hours: 40 hr/week for 4 weeks.
Prerequisites: CLT 201 Hematology and Coagulation, CLT 201L Hematology and Coagulation Lab, CLT 202 Urinalysis/Body Fluids, CLT 202L Urinalysis/Body Fluids Lab, CLT 204 Fundamental Phlebotomy and permission of the CLT advisor
14 Clinical Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Follow proper safety guidelines in the laboratory at all times.
- Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal communication skills with patients, laboratory personnel and other health care personnel.
- Process blood samples and other specimens for analysis.
- Using established criteria, identify and evaluate patient specimens for acceptability, and take necessary actions if specimens are unacceptable.
- Peform analytical tests on patient samples under the direct supervision of laboratory personnel in the relevant areas of the clinical laboratory.
- Evaluate the clinical significance of laboratory results.
- Recognize the preanalytical, analytical, and postanalytical factors that impact procedures and results and take appropriate actions within predetermined limits
- Describe how quality control (QC) is monitored for the different procedures and instrumentation in the laboratory, how QC performance records are evaluated, and the proper corrective actions to be taken if QC values are outside established limits.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on laboratory equipment within predetermined limits.
- Describe the quality assurance monitors used in each section of the laboratory.
- Demonstrate competence in performing tests, assays, and procedures as specified in the associated clinical objectives list.
[Add to Portfolio]